Mr. Mayer handles a wide variety of transactions for Goodwin’s banking and financial services clients, including mergers, acquisitions, public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, stock conversions, bank and holding company formations, and other reorganizations of financial institutions and holding companies. He also regularly advises foreign and U.S. clients on bank regulatory matters involving the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Comptroller of the Currency, and other state and federal regulatory agencies.
Over the past several years, Mr. Mayer has advised a wide range of financial institution clients on capital and compliance matters arising under the Dodd-Frank Act, the Basel Accords and other regulations, and has counseled institutional and other investors with respect to transactions involving banks and bank holding companies. Mr. Mayer also advises other business clients, nonprofits and individuals on a wide range of corporate, corporate governance and other legal matters. His recent work includes representing and/or advising:
- Boston Private Financial Holdings in connection with a variety of east coast and west coast business combinations, and most recently with respect to the sale by Carlyle Group of its post financial crisis ownership interest, and the consolidation of its banking operations
- Brookline Bancorp on a number of M&A transactions including its acquisition of Bancorp Rhode Island, Inc. and First Ipswich Bancorp
- Camden National Corporation in connection with the expansion of its Maine-based banking franchise, including its recent acquisition of Bank of America’s Maine branch network
- HarborOne Credit Union with respect to its conversion to a Massachusetts chartered cooperative bank, the first such transaction in the Commonwealth
- Eastern Bank Corporation in connection with its acquisition of Campello Bancorp, a troubled financial institution in Brockton, MA
- Northeast Bancorp in connection with its restructuring and recapitalization by private equity and other investors as well as its follow-on public offering of common stock