Attorney Development Manager, Life Sciences
Make an impact at Goodwin, where we partner with our clients to practice law with integrity, ingenuity, agility and ambition. Our 1,600 lawyers across the United States, Europe and Asia excel at complex transactions, high-stakes litigation and world-class advisory services in the technology, life sciences, real estate, private equity and financial industries. Our unique combination of deep experience serving both the innovators and investors in a rapidly-changing, technology-driven economy sets us apart. Also a global destination for business professionals, Goodwin’s team of professional staff was named in 2019 the “Best Business Team” by The American Lawyer.
The position works closely with the partners and the BU practice management team to oversee cross-office staffing/work allocation, performance and utilization and associate retention strategies. The position also partners with Human Resources, and the Diversity/Equity/Inclusion and Learning & Professional Development teams to ensure a positive and inclusive attorney experience as it relates to training, development, coaching, integration and onboarding, retention, performance management and career transitioning.
What You'll Do:
- Staffing / Work Allocation: Manages the cross-office attorney matter assignment system for the associates assigned to this specific segment of the Life Sciences Business Unit.
- Works with designated BU partners to analyze and report on cross-office capacity/workloads and forecast future capacity planning. Works closely with assigned associates to monitor workloads, focus on associate retention and their professional development; allocates additional work with an eye toward achieving an equitable distribution of assignments consistent with the clients’ needs and the attorneys’ individual professional development goals.
- Performance Management: Understands tools, process and strategy to ensure proper execution of the attorney performance management process. Monitors the attorney evaluations, works with the Attorney Review Committee to prepare messaging sheets for the attorneys that they staff, facilitate the delivery of formal reviews, advises partners on specific and/or sensitive performance related situations and coaches attorneys on how to implement feedback received.
- Advisor Program: Working in conjunction with the designated BU partners and the BU Practice Managers, assists with the execution of the advisor program; assigns advisors to new attorneys and lateral hires; and solicits feedback from both advisors and advisees to ensure that the program is meeting its goal of enhancing attorneys’ professional development. Utilizes the advisor system to communicate professional development information to attorneys as appropriate and creates and implements mentoring initiatives. Works to make recommendations for continuous enhancement and improvement of the advisor program.
- Diversity / Equity/ Inclusion: Supports the firm's Diversity and Inclusion (DEI) strategy and the BU’s DEI goals via coaching and development outreach with attorneys; and championing DEI sponsored initiatives and events. Encourages inclusion amongst attorneys and serves as a resource for attorneys with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Integration / Onboarding / Transition: Partners with key internal departments to facilitate successful attorney on-boarding and integration, including conducting department orientation for new hires and building robust onboarding schedules. Coaches departing attorneys on career transitioning, outplacement and conducts exit interviews.
- Training / Development: Collaborates with the Learning & Professional Development team and Business Unit leadership to identify training needs/suggest program ideas for training curriculums related to legal and professional skills that support attorney development of core competencies.
- Employee Relations: Proactively consults with the Human Resources team on employee relations matters for thoughtful and efficient resolution.
- Recruitment: Partners with the Talent Acquisition team to ensure strategic workforce planning and hiring efforts are taking place in support of the business units’ and department goals and staffing needs.
- Special Projects: Collaborates with other team members and functional areas to execute Department, Firm-wide and ADM Team cross-department initiatives, as needed.
Who You Are:
- Juris Doctor or MBA preferred.
- Equivalent legal staffing/workforce planning/attorney development experience in another legal or professional services environment.
- 5+ years of related experience, preferably in an AMLAW25 law firm environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to develop and forge positive and collaborative working relationships.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and to respect, protect, and maintain highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to effectively manage projects and tasks including demonstrating delegation and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and take initiative.
- Ability to demonstrate effective creative problem solving and people management skills including coaching and mentoring.
- Working knowledge of Word, Outlook and Excel. Ability to learn and utilize additional programs
Consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.
Goodwin Procter LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Goodwin Procter LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other legally protected status.
Please note: Various agencies of the United States government require employers to collect information on applicants and employees. The National Association of Law Placement (NALP) and certain clients request us to keep track of certain aggregate information regarding lawyers. EEO information requested on this application is for purposes of compliance with these recordkeeping and reporting requirements and to determine recruiting and employment patterns. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment.