Senior Practice Manager, Technology
Make an impact at Goodwin, where we partner with our clients to practice law with integrity, ingenuity, agility and ambition. Our 1,200-plus lawyers across the United States, Europe and Asia excel at complex transactions, high-stakes litigation and world-class advisory services in the technology, life sciences, real estate, private equity and financial industries. Our unique combination of deep experience serving both the innovators and investors in a rapidly-changing, technology-driven economy sets us apart. Also a global destination for business professionals, Goodwin’s team of professional staff was named in 2019 the “Best Business Team” by The American Lawyer.
For technology companies of all sizes, the pace and pressure can be relentless: create, innovate, revise, compete, survive, grow, thrive. As a leading technology company law firm, Goodwin shares our clients’ entrepreneurial spirit. We partner with them to grow their business and realize their potential more effectively – with a combination of legal experience and business savvy that can scale with management teams from the earliest stages of development through mature public company.
The Practice Manager will report to the Managing Director, Practice & Client Development- Tech and will work closely with partners and administrative team members to accomplish timely and effective execution of priorities, operations and systems that drive strategic direction of the Business Unit. The successful candidate will have the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously to drive operational excellence and service.
What You’ll Do:
- Overall Business Unit Operations: Work with the Managing Director, Practice & Client Development Tech Business Unit Leaders and practice management team to manage operational and strategic aspects of the practice, including internal organization, meetings and events, information management, and other initiatives as requested by the Managing Director. Identify Business Unit needs and opportunities, and work to advance relevant initiatives.
- Talent Management: Based upon a solid understanding of the talent management goals of the Business Unit, Legal Practice Areas, Offices, and each individual attorney, work with the TECH personnel committee and interact with partners and administrators on various talent management initiatives, including BU efforts related to recruitment, diversity and inclusion, and professional development and training. Understand the broader firm tools, process, and strategy to ensure proper execution on the BU’s initiatives.
- Business Intelligence: Produce reporting and analytics to build business intelligence that informs Business Unit leadership on trends related to overall business unit management, including talent management, financial performance, and knowledge management. Collaborate with Managing Director, Practice & Client Development, partners, and administrators to identify actionable issues and plans arising out of metrics analysis and execute on related efforts to support and advance BU initiatives.
- Team Management: Together with the Managing Director, manage workload and professional development for the team through coaching, mentoring, delegation, and supervision.
Who You Are:
- J.D. required.
- Preferably 5 -7 plus years of experience practicing as a lawyer in top-tier law firm and/or 5 years’ experience as an administrator with practice management, client relationship management, business development or attorney development role in a law firm.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proven abilities to manage projects and tasks including demonstrating delegation and organizational skills.
- Effective creative problem solving and people management skills.
- Working knowledge of Word, Outlook and Excel.
Consistent with the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.
Goodwin Procter LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Goodwin Procter LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other legally protected status.
Please note: Various agencies of the United States government require employers to collect information on applicants and employees. The National Association of Law Placement (NALP) and certain clients request us to keep track of certain aggregate information regarding lawyers. EEO information requested on this application is for purposes of compliance with these recordkeeping and reporting requirements and to determine recruiting and employment patterns. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment.