Ms. Madden has represented clients in a broad range of complex commercial and consumer matters, including financial services litigation, unfair competition actions, real estate and business disputes, and products liability actions. Representative matters include:
- Defeated an arbitration brought against financial institutions in which the claimant attempted to challenge payroll card cancellation policies by alleging violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law (Business & Professions Code section 17200), breach of contract and violation of the federal Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
- Defended against a putative class action brought against multiple financial institutions, in which a merchant alleged that fees imposed upon termination of merchant services processing agreements were unlawful liquidated damages in violation of California Business & Professions Code section 17200. The action was defeated at the pleading stage by demonstrating that the plaintiff could not assert a cognizable claim under California’s Unfair Competition Law.
- Defended real estate investment and development companies in multiple lawsuits brought by investors and creditors alleging breach of contract and fraud.
- Defended automobile manufacturers in numerous products liability and breach of warranty actions.
- Represented a multinational engineering company in several actions brought against former employees for breach of employment agreements, unfair competition and trade secret misappropriation.