Mr. Schreiner's experience includes:
- Favorable settlement in 2012 in Research Affiliates (RA) v. WisdomTree Investments (CDCA), a patent suit involving three patents on “fundamental index” based exchange traded funds (ETFs) filed by patent holder RA against our client WisdomTree. Pursuant to settlement, RA withdrew the suit, paid $700K to WisdomTree and issued a joint press release acknowledging WisdomTree’s independent development of its dividend-based fundamental indexes and ETFs.
- Successful invalidation of patent owned by Intellectual Ventures in Covered Business Method Review on behalf of JPMorgan Chase in J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., et al. v. Intellectual Ventures II, LLC , CBM2014-00157 (PTAB Final Decision: January 12, 2016).
- Favorable settlement in 2010 in J.P. Morgan Chase 7 Co., et al. v. Affiliated Computer Services, et al. (D. Del.) involving 10 patents on check imaging and payment processing.
- Favorable settlement on behalf of defendant Crutchfield in Charles E. Hill v. Crutchfield (EDTX) patent case involving Internet http caching technology.
- Favorable jury verdict and settlement on behalf of plaintiff Newport News in Newport News Shipbuilding v. DTI (EDVA), a trade secrets and patent case on military technology.
- Multiple patent infringement cases involving six interactive digital television patents on cryptography/layered decryption asserted against Scientific-Atlanta (NDGA), Motorola (EDTX), Dish Network (EDTX), DirecTV (D. Del.) and Zynga (EDTX).
- Maintain significant patent prosecution docket with hundreds of applications on financial services inventions, including software applications, website services, secure networks, transaction processing systems, special card products, exotic derivatives and special financial instruments. Have argued numerous appeals to the Board of Patent Appeals & Interferences (BPAI).
- Numerous IP due diligence efforts in connection with corporate acquisitions and IP portfolio purchases.
- Board of Editors, Banking Law Journal (2006-Present)
- Board of Editors, AIPLA Quarterly Journal (2010-2012)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2007, Mr. Schreiner was a partner at Hunton & Williams LLP.