Goodwin Procter is pleased to announce the launch of a new Gaming, Gambling & Sweepstakes Practice, bringing together an interdisciplinary team with specialized knowledge of federal and state gambling, gaming, lottery and sweepstakes laws and regulations, as well as Native American tribal laws.
The practice focuses on representing:
- Entrepreneurs and investors seeking opportunities to establish or grow their presence in online gaming, land-based casinos and gaming establishments, virtual markets and currencies
- Entities seeking to promote their products and services through online and offline sweepstakes, contests, games and raffles
- Operating companies
The Gaming, Gambling & Sweepstakes Practice draws upon Goodwin’s expertise in a variety of areas, including civil and criminal litigation, banking, regulatory compliance, permitting, land use, real estate, project finance, licensing, technology, private equity, corporate finance, intellectual property, tax, and labor and employment. Our attorneys can help clients navigate the complex federal, state and tribal statutes, policies and regulations on gaming, gambling and sweepstakes.
Advice and representation covers issues including:
- Structuring, implementing and advising U.S., offshore, and foreign online gaming businesses, including online poker, casino-style games, bingo, online sweepstakes and promotions, government sponsored lotteries and sports betting in compliance with applicable law
- Venture capital and private equity investment transactions in online gaming companies
Compliance with sweepstakes, contest and promotion laws and social media guidelines in connection with structuring and operating online and offline games, contests, sweepstakes and raffles
- Understanding and obtaining necessary regulatory permits, licenses and approvals from governmental entities with jurisdiction over the development and operation of casinos or other brick and mortar gaming and gambling establishments
- Developing traditional brick and mortar casino, bingo and gaming establishments
- Expanding traditional brick and mortar casino, bingo and gaming establishments into online gaming
- Structuring, negotiating and obtaining project financing and, where applicable, debt refinancing
- Related real estate transactions, including site approval and zoning, development and construction, licensure, environmental permitting and financing
Working with Native American tribes with an interest in entering and/or expanding current positions in land-based casinos and/or online gaming and gambling businesses.