Mr. Bernardi has advised clients on domestic and cross-border transactions across a range of industries. His recent experience includes advising:*
Mergers and Acquisitions / Buyouts
- Charlesbank Capital Partners in its acquisitions of Vestcom and Polyconcept
- AlphaCredit in its acquisition of Grupo Finmart from EZCORP (NASDAQ: EZPW)
- Varsity Brands, a portfolio company of Charlesbank Capital Partners, in its acquisitions of Allgoods and Lids Team Sports
- Undertone Networks, a portfolio company of JMI Equity, in its sale to Perion Network Ltd. for $180 million
- Fullbeauty Brands, a portfolio company of Charlesbank Capital Partners, in its sale to Apax Partners
- AMAG Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: AMAG) in its $700 million acquisition of Cord Blood Registry from GTCR
- Acosta Sales and Marketing, a portfolio company of Thomas H. Lee Partners, in its acquisitions of Mosaic Sales Solutions and Anderson Daymon Worldwide and the subsequent sale of Acosta to The Carlyle Group for $4.8 billion (one of the five largest leveraged buyouts of 2014)
- Advent International in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Serta Simmons Bedding
- Berkshire Partners in its $468 million acquisition of Grocery Outlet
- Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of Systems Maintenance Services and a number of follow-on financings and other transactions
- A.T. Cross Company (NASDAQ: ATX) in the sale of its Cross Accessory Division
- Harbinger Capital Partners in its take-private of LightSquared (f/k/a SkyTerra Communications), a mobile satellite services provider with an enterprise value of approximately $1.85 billion
- Advent International, CDIB Capital and Mirae Assets in connection with their acquisition of a controlling interest in the parent of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
Growth Equity Investments
- JMI Equity in its $55 million investment in Higher Logic
- Hillhouse Capital in its investment in Airbnb
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of a minority investment in Coty, Inc., a leading manufacturer of cosmetics
- Advent International in its $1.1 billion minority investment in OCENSA, the owner and operator of the largest Colombian oil pipeline
- Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a minority interest in Amscan, Inc., the parent of Party City retail stores
- Liberty Mutual in its significant debt and equity investment in a leading alternative energy provider
- Providence Equity Partners in connection with its $300 million investment in ZeniMax Media Inc., a creator and publisher of original interactive entertainment content
- Harbinger Capital Partners in connection with investments in several telecommunications carriers and satellite operators, including wireless broadband service provider, Augere Holdings (Netherlands) BV, and TerreStar Corporation
- Medicis Pharmaceuticals in its $455 million acquisition of substantially all of the U.S. and Canadian pharmaceutical assets of Graceway Pharmaceuticals via a Section 363 asset purchase as part of Graceway’s Chapter 11 proceedings
- Nortek, Inc. in connection with its pre-packaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization
*Includes matters prior to joining Goodwin.
Mr. Bernardi is a member of the Boston and American Bar Associations. He is actively involved in charitable and community organizations, including The Trustees of Reservations where he serves as a Corporate Trustee and on the Conservation Circle Steering Committee.
Before joining Goodwin, Mr. Bernardi practiced law for nearly a decade in the Boston office of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
Mr. Bernardi is also a certified public accountant. Prior to his legal career, he was a member of the audit and assurance practices of Arthur Andersen LLP and KPMG LLP where he worked primarily with private equity funds, technology companies and government contractors.