Mr. Chud has substantial trial and arbitration experience, as well as significant experience on a variety of class actions in the areas of health care, insurance and consumer finance. His practice also includes representing clients in business disputes involving contracts, post-closing issues and other litigated matters. In addition, Mr. Chud has long represented clients in copyright and trademark matters, including litigation, working with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and negotiating intellectual property agreements.
- An insurer in a class action alleging unfair handling of the global settlement of asbestos personal injury cases
- An insurer in a putative class action concerning the discontinuation of sales of health insurance policies
- An insurer in a putative class action concerning charges assessed on variable annuity life insurance policies
- A national mortgage lending company in a protracted class action lawsuit alleging that the company charged illegal fees in connection with second mortgages
- An insurer in a putative class action contesting the company’s claim review practices
- Multiple clients in business disputes involving contracts, post-closing issues and other litigated matters
- A client in litigation alleging that the company caused billions of dollars in damages from flooding during hurricane Katrina
- A product manufacturer in an international arbitration relating to the sale of custom-designed technical products
- Multiple clients in investigations by the Federal Trade Commission and other federal agencies
- A national mortgage lending company against claims concerning alleged failure to make proper disclosures in connection with residential loans
- A national religious organization in disputes concerning control of real property
- A real estate developer in litigation commenced by a municipal entity arising out of a significant proposed development project
- A major newspaper in an action to stop infringement of the client’s name and mark
- A national bank against trademark infringement claims related to its nationwide advertising campaign
- An educational organization in registration and defense of trademarks against infringement by multiple other companies
- A national religious organization in registration and defense of its trademarks
Mr. Chud serves on the Board of Directors of the Council for Court Excellence, as well as on the Board of Trustees of Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs. He is a member of the American Bar Association’s Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee, the Intellectual Property Litigation Committee and the Trademarks Subcommittee. He is also a member of the American Health Lawyers Association.
Mr. Chud was an associate at Shea & Gardner prior to its combination with Goodwin in 2004.