- “CFPB’s Recent Pronouncement on Mortgage Servicing” webinar, October Research, October, 2016
- HMDA Implementation Workshop, MBA Compliance Essentials, October 2016
- “HMDA Workshop Part I – Overview of the Rule and Foundational Issues” panel, MBA Regulatory Compliance Conference, September 2016
- “Regulating Consumer Dispute Processes: Arbitration, Class Action Waivers and the CFPB" panel, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2016
- "Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) rule" panel, MBA: HMDA Implementation Workshop – April 2016 ( (Arlington, VA) and June 2016 (Austin, TX)
- “HMDA – Introduction and Overview of the Rule” panel and “HMDA Rule Overview and Implementation Concerns” panel, MBA’s Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference, May 2016
- "Practical Steps to Prepare for and Manage Regulatory Examinations," Mortgage Servicing In-House Counsel Forum, April 2016
- "HMDA - Understanding the Rule - Coverage, Reporting Requirements, Challenges, etc. – Part II" panel, MBA's National Technology in Mortgage Banking Conference & Expo, April 2016
- "Risk Framework: Getting Day to Day Risk Management Right" panel, CBA Live 2016: Leadership Unplugged, March 2016
- “Preparing For the New HMDA Rule,” Mortgage Banking, February 2016
- "Consumer Class Actions: the Consumer Class Action is Dead, Long Live the Consumer Class Action," American Bar Association, Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2015
- "Lenders' Perspectives on Vendor Management for Settlement Services," October Research National Settlement Services Summit, June 2014
- "Regulatory and Legal Developments Under Dodd-Frank," American College of Mortgage Attorneys Annual Meeting, October 2013
- "Regulatory and Legal Developments in Residential Mortgage," American College of Mortgage Attorneys Annual Meeting, October 2012
- "Adapting to the New Regulatory and Enforcement Paradigm," ACI Consumer Finance Class Actions and Litigation Conference, July 2012
- "Secondary Market Issues including Risk Retention," MBA Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference, May 2012 -"Impact of Dodd-Frank," Five Star Conference, December 2011
- "Current Servicing Issues," Financial Services Roundtable Panel, May 2011
- "Federal Response to Subprime Lending Issues," American College of Mortgage Attorneys, September 2010/2011
Michael C. Flynn
Mike Flynn is a partner in Goodwin’s Financial Industry, Banking, Consumer Financial Services and FinTech practices. Mr. Flynn applies his unique background as an in-house senior legal executive in major financial institutions coupled with his government experience in banking and in mortgage and other consumer financial services, to advise clients on matters concerning compliance and legal operational issues, secondary market and other transactions, and regulatory enforcement. He works on matters related to federal and state consumer protection laws (including TILA, RESPA, HDMA, FACTA/FCRA and FDCPA), FHA and GSE issues, as well as matters involving fair lending and community reinvestment, and practice before federal and state regulatory agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
Mr. Flynn has more than 25 years’ experience in the financial services industry, with particular expertise in the consumer finance sector. He has held senior leadership and management roles for public banking entities, as well as for law firms and federal regulatory agencies, including service as Acting General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and as General Counsel of both Flagstar Bank and PNC Mortgage.
Mr. Flynn is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, California and Michigan.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2015, Mr. Flynn served as Chief Legal Officer, General Counsel and Executive Vice President of Flagstar Bancorp Inc. Before that, he was the General Counsel of PNC Mortgage, the mortgage division of PNC Bank, N.A. From 2007 to 2009, he served as Deputy General Counsel and then Acting General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), serving simultaneously as counselor to the board of directors of HUD’s Hope for Homeowners program. He also served as Senior Vice President and Senior Counsel at World Savings Bank, where he managed attorneys in the company’s mortgage lending business. Prior to that position, he was Vice President and General Litigation Counsel at Chicago Title Insurance Company, with responsibility for the company’s corporate- and major-claims litigation. Earlier in his career, he was a commercial litigator in private practice in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, focusing on real estate, insurance regulatory and title insurance issues.
Mr. Flynn is a fellow of the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers, the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, and the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. He is presently a member of the Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues, Quality Assurance and Regulatory Compliance Committee. He previously served as the Chair of the American Bar Association (ABA) Business Law Section Task Force on Litigation Reform and Rules Changes, and as a Member of the ABA Business Law Section Task Force on Federal Preemption of State Laws. He also has served as Co-Chair of the ABA Business Law Section Subcommittee on In-House Litigation Management and the Chair of the ABA TIPS Section Title Insurance Litigation Committee, as Vice-Chair of the ABA TIPS Section Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, and as a Member of the American Land Title Association Claims Committee.
Duke University School of Law
(Phi Beta Kappa; Metz Scholar)