Since joining Goodwin, Mr. Kim has been involved in litigation matters in numerous federal courts of appeals, district courts and administrative agencies. His recent significant representations include:
- Co-authored a brief in the First Circuit on behalf of an internationally renowned post-secondary educational institution defending against state-law contract and tort claims. Successfully obtained affirmance of the district court’s grant of summary judgment.
- Co-authored a brief in the Ninth Circuit on behalf of a major banking client defending against claims of discriminatory lending. Successfully defended the client at summary judgment.
- Represented employers in the D.C. Circuit in appeals of adverse decisions by the National Labor Relations Board.
- Represented a banking client before the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in responding to a Notice of Opportunity to Respond and Advise.
- Co-authored cert.-stage and merits-stage amici briefs on behalf of a biotechnology trade organization in the Supreme Court. Cuozzo Speed Techs., LLC v. Lee, No. 15-446 (U.S.).
- Co-authored an amicus brief in the Supreme Court on behalf of former officials of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Armstrong v. Exceptional Child, Inc., 135 S. Ct. 1378 (2015).
As a member of the Gaming, Gambling & Sweepstakes practice, Mr. Kim provides advice to online gaming companies on state and federal gaming and gambling laws.
Mr. Kim maintains a diverse and active pro bono practice. His recent pro bono representations include:
- Representing a nonprofit organization devoted to assisting the homeless in a First Amendment challenge to a Florida municipality’s ban on charitable solicitation.
- Representing two children from El Salvador in Special Immigrant Juvenile Status proceedings.
- Secured the public release of rape-kit testing statistics in conjunction with the Joyful Heart Foundation as part of its End the Backlog program.
- Advised a nonprofit organization on gaming and gambling law issues relating to a March Madness fundraising initiative.