Mr. Kranz’ practice is focused on corporate counseling and strategic advice to his clients and he regularly handles a variety of major business transactions, including public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic collaborations and commercial transactions. Mr. Kranz’ activities in recent years include representing:
- Empire State Realty in multiple transactions, including the $620 million acquisition of a 9.9% interest in ESRT by an affiliate of Qatar Investment Authority
- AvalonBay Communities in a $685 million public offering of its common stock on a forward basis
- Medical Properties Trust in its $1.25 billion acquisition of a healthcare portfolio from an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management
- MAA (Mid-America Apartment Communities) in its $8.6 billion business combination with Colonial Properties Trust
- Gaming & Leisure Properties in its $440 million acquisition of The Meadows Racetrack and Casino
- CreXus Investment Corp in its $1 billion acquisition by Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
- Medical Properties Trust in its €200 million offering of senior notes, the first public eurobond offering by a U.S. REIT
- Baird and BMO, as underwriters, in Franklin Street Properties’ $200 million offering of common stock
Mr. Kranz is a member of the adjunct faculty at The Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate, Columbia Business School and a lecturer in law at Columbia Law School. During the 2010-2011 semester, Mr. Kranz was a guest lecturer at Tel Aviv University Law School, teaching coursework in U.S. mergers and acquisitions practice. Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Kranz was a corporate associate in the New York and London offices of Cravath, Swaine & Moore.