Mr. Li represents a wide variety of industrial, commercial and individual clients, in both IP litigation and patent prosecution matters. He has prosecuted patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office since 2003. IP litigation forums in which he has been involved include both U.S. district courts and the International Trade Commission (ITC). Client sectors served by Mr. Li span a wide spectrum and include semiconductor equipment, microelectronic devices and packaging, integrated circuit (IC) designs, high-speed memory systems, storage networks and apparatuses, medical devices and diagnostic equipment, telecommunications equipment and network infrastructure, mobile marketing, consumer banking and credit cards, investment banking (securities, derivatives and structured financing), railroad equipment, online and retail gaming, and social networking. Apart from advising clients of American and European origins, Mr. Li has successfully served, and takes pride in serving, clients from China.
Representative matters include:
- In re Certain Electronic Imaging Devices, ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-850. Represented a major Chinese mobile phone manufacturer (ZTE) against patent infringement claims brought by FlashPoint Technology, Inc. and secured a ruling of non-infringement with respect to all the patents asserted against ZTE.
- In re Certain Display Devices, including Digital Televisions and Monitors, ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-713. Represented respondents TPV Technology Ltd., Top Victory Electronics (Taiwan) Co., Ltd., and TPV Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd. et al. against patent infringement claims brought by a major consumer electronics manufacturer.
- In re Certain Semiconductor Chips With Minimized Chip Packages Size and Products Containing Same, ITC Investigations 337-TA-605 and 337-TA-649. Represented complainant against several major semiconductor chip packaging companies including Motorola, STMicroelectronics, and some Southeast-Asian subcontractors..
- Lumenis Ltd. et al v. Alma Lasers, Ltd. et al (N.D. IL). Represented Alma Lasers, a medical device maker, against patent infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets claims, including concurrent reexamination proceedings that resulted in cancellation or amendments of almost all asserted claims.
- Sybase 365, LLC v. TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (E.D. VA). Represented TCS against a retaliatory suit brought by a competitor concerning location-based mobile technology.
- NTP, Inc. v. AT&T Mobility, LLC and NTP, Inc. v. Sprint Nextel Corp. (E.D. VA). Represented patent owner in multiple suits concerning wireless email.
- Personalized Media Communications, LLC v. Motorola Inc., EchoStar Corp. and DISH Network Corp. (E.D. TX). Representing patent owner against manufacturers of cable and satellite set-top boxes and a satellite TV program provider.
- LucidMedia Networks, Inc. v. Augme Technologies, Inc. (E.D. VA). Represented Augme against patent infringement claims concerning mobile marketing.
- Augme Technologies, Inc. v. Pandora Media, Inc. (D. DE). Represented patent owner against a popular Internet radio provider.
- Research Affiliates, LLC v. WisdomTree Investments, Inc. et al. (C.D. CA). Represented all six defendants against patent infringement claims concerning exchange traded funds (ETFs) that track stock indexes and secured a favorable result where plaintiff paid defendants to settle the case.