Mr. Meriam advises clients, including private equity firms, mezzanine funds, private investors and multinational companies, in all phases of their business, from the initial investment and relations with co-investors, through third-party financings and exit strategies, and, when necessary, the needs of companies in distress. His breadth of experience in representing the different components of buyout transactions and industry sectors has led clients to rely on him in the early stages of deals to assist in structuring and business planning. In addition, he has counseled clients on numerous cross-border deals, both in-bound and out-bound. He counsels a wide range of healthy living and consumer products companies. Mr. Meriam has led teams addressing regulatory review and related issues in the food and supplement space.
Mr. Meriam has advised on acquisitions involving consumer goods restaurant chains, defense contractors, food manufacturers and manufacturers and distributors of nutritional supplements and natural products. He has also led deals for his clients involving companies engaged in providing marketing services, the consumer goods business and heavy manufacturing. He has recently represented:
- Skip Hop, a creator and retailer of innovative and functional products for children, in its sale of a majority stake to Fireman Capital Partners, a consumer-focused growth equity firm and preparation of its founders on its subsequent sale to Carters, Inc.
- Twinlab Consolidated Holdings, Inc., a nutritional supplements manufacturer, in its going-public transaction
- Twinlab Consolidated Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of assets by its subsidiary NutriScience Labs
- Stone Canyon Industries in its acquisition of and subsequent sale of Fleishman’s Vinegar Company
- An equity sponsor in its proposed acquisition of a nutritional supplements company
- A nutritional supplements company in connection with its proposed sale
- York Capital Management in its acquisition of Houlihan Restaurants
- An equity sponsor in its acquisition of franchised health clubs
- An equity sponsor in its acquisition of a creative production company
- A government contractor in connection with a debt restructuring and recapitalization
- Ambassador Education Solutions in connection with the refinancing of its credit facilities and long term strategic planning
- AEA Investors in its equity co-investments in several recent deals
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Meriam was a partner in the New York office of Chadbourne & Parke LLP, where he was a member of the Management Committee and headed the bank finance practice group, as well as a member of the private equity and mezzanine finance groups. Mr. Meriam serves on the Advisory Board of the Community Development Project of the New York Legal Aid Society in addition to his service as a board member. He is also a board member of, and regularly represents on a pro bono basis, Vitamin Angels.
Mr. Meriam is a member of the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.