In the area of patent and other intellectual property litigation, Mr. Osborn has represented clients in a wide range of disputes in jurisdictions throughout the country involving many different technologies. Mr. Osborn's litigation experience includes patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret disputes. Mr. Osborn has also represented clients with respect to other software-related claims involving the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
The technologies at issue in intellectual property litigation matters handled by Mr. Osborn include signal processing of digital television transmissions, active noise-cancelling technologies in digital headphones, MPEG processing, DVR, VOD, IPPV, and conditional access technologies; mobile software applications; workflow management software; GPS mapping technologies; encryption and decryption technologies; child support payment systems; streaming media systems; font software technologies; Flash-based video game technologies; and lockbox processing systems.
Mr. Osborn’s representative cases include:
- B&B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc. (U.S. Supreme Court Case No. 13-352)
- J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. et al. v. Intellectual Ventures II LLC (PTAB Case No. CBM2014-00157)
- In re Certain Noise Cancelling Headphones and Components Thereof (Bose v. Beats) (ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-927)
- In Re: Maxim Integrated Products, Inc., MDL No. 2354 (W.D. Pa.)
- Encyclopaedia Britannica v. Dickstein Shapiro (D.D.C.)
- James M. Linick v. United States (Fed. Cir.)
- Bell Helicopter Textron Inc. v. Eurocopter (D.D.C.)
- Augme Technologies, Inc. v. Pandora Media, Inc. (N.D. Cal.)
- Monotype Imaging Inc. v. Deluxe Corporation (D. Mass.)
- Burns v. AOL, Inc. et al. (D. Mass.)
- Kixeye, Inc. v. Russ (N.D. Cal.)
- PMC, LLC v. Motorola, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.)
- Augme Technologies, Inc. v. Tacoda, Inc. (S.D.N.Y.)
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. et al. v. ACS et al. (D. Del.)
Finally, in his capacity with the National Security & Foreign Trade Regulation Practice, Mr. Osborn has also advised hundreds of clients regarding regulatory compliance. This experience includes advice based on the Exon-Florio provisions administered by CFIUS, including recent CFIUS filings for clients, as well as work for dozens of clients regarding compliance with the EAR, ITAR, and OFAC.