Mr. Saarinen’s practice focuses on the representation of fund sponsors in connection with the development, formation, marketing and operation of U.S. and international private funds, including private equity funds, hedge funds, venture capital funds, growth equity funds, funds of funds, stand-alone single asset funds, co-investment funds, single investor funds and various other innovative investment products. He also frequently counsels clients on regulatory and compliance matters.
In addition, Mr. Saarinen advises asset managers on matters that are critical to the growth of their businesses, such as compensation arrangements, internal governance and strategic transactions. Mr. Saarinen also represents institutional investors in connection with their investments in private funds.
Mr. Saarinen has recently represented:
- Advent International, a global private equity firm, on the establishment of a new advisory subsidiary and the formation of a private investment fund focused on investing in publicly traded equity securities.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Massachusetts, on a hedge fund investment.
- Northeastern University, on private equity fund and hedge fund investments.
- RRE Ventures, a venture capital firm, on various fund management matters.
- Two Sigma Private Investments, the private markets investment division of Two Sigma Investments, on the expansion of its asset management services platform.
- Two Sigma Private Investments, on investments in numerous unaffiliated private investment funds.
- The Watermill Group, a strategy driven investment firm, on the establishment of a capacity rights arrangement.
- A private equity firm, on the formation of numerous private equity co-investment funds and other single asset funds that have collectively attracted commitments of over $600 million from investors seeking to participate in targeted investment opportunities.
- A private equity firm, on the establishment of discretionary single investor vehicles that have collectively attracted commitments of over $250 million from investors seeking to obtain exposure across a number of the firm’s single asset private investment funds.
- An asset management firm, on the structuring and formation of a feeder platform to provide customized services to investors in the firm’s liquid strategy private investment funds.
- A private equity firm, on acquisitions of interests in unaffiliated private equity funds in the secondary market and via direct investments.
- A multi-billion dollar college endowment, on private equity fund investments.