Mr. Simes' civil litigation includes both international and domestic arbitration as well as litigation in state and federal courts. Although he practices most frequently in tribunals that address complex business issues (such as New York and Delaware), his practice is international and his clients range from Global 500 companies to emerging technology companies. Mr. Simes regularly handles the gamut of business and corporate litigations and arbitrations including commercial, post-closing and "busted deal" disputes, shareholder derivative actions, partnership disputes and other matters involving allegations of business torts, fraud and breaches of contract or fiduciary duties. He also conducts internal investigations for various clients into diverse issues including alleged accounting improprieties, share and option granting issues and compliance. In addition, Mr. Simes counsels companies, both domestic and foreign, as to investigations and government inquiries.
Mr. Simes has prior experience as a Special Assistant District Attorney for the Middlesex County (MA) District Attorney's Office where he tried numerous criminal cases. In addition to being an experienced trial lawyer, Mr. Simes also has a successful appellate practice.
- A global electronics firm and its subsidiaries in the U.S. and Europe in an international arbitration with a major customer
- A global pharmaceutical company in an international arbitration with a key distributor
- A major consulting firm against retired partners on three continents
- A private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of a defense contractor
- A leading international security and armored car company in connection with its acquisition of an American subsidiary
- A technology company in a post-closing dispute against its acquirer, a major private equity firm
- A pharmaceutical company in a derivative lawsuit brought by a major investor
- A major electronics manufacturer as to alleged accounting improprieties
- A UK-based pharmaceutical company in connection with allegations of drug testing irregularities
- A web-based technology company as to stock option granting practices