Dr. Greenhalgh has extensive experience counseling biotechnology, pharmaceutical, diagnostics and medical device companies, research institutions and hospitals on intellectual property matters, with particular emphasis on the procurement and enforcement of patent rights. He specializes in developing and managing domestic and foreign patent portfolios, including developing, implementing and expediting complex prosecution strategies in the United States and abroad, and has handled numerous post grant proceedings, including reissue, ex parte and inter partes reexamination, and interference proceedings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and foreign patent opposition proceedings. Dr. Greenhalgh has obtained patent protection for various FDA-approved therapeutics and diagnostics, and advises clients on Orange Book listing and life cycle management issues.
Dr. Greenhalgh conducts intellectual property due diligence investigations in connection with various transactions, including investments in public and privately held companies, public offerings, licensing transactions, strategic alliances, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Ongoing representation of various privately held and public companies including Altus Formulation, AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Catabasis Pharmaceuticals, Charles River Laboratories, CytoPherx, Endomedix, Ensemble Therapeutics, GliaCure, Immune Targeting Systems, Lysosomal Therapeutics, Inc., the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Melinta Therapeutics, Paladin Labs, ProQR Therapetics, and VisEn Medical, in intellectual property matters
- Full life cycle patent strategy on behalf of global pharmaceutical company with approved product, including expedited patent prosecution, patent term extension, and related Orange Book listings
- ProQR Therapeutics in its patent matters and its recent $97.5 million public offering
- AVEO Pharmaceuticals on patent matters relating to its product candidates, initial public offering and follow-on offerings, and strategic partnerships
- Action Pharma, in the $110 million sale of rights to develop and commercialize the kidney drug compound AP214 to Abbott Laboratories
- Representation of the underwriters during the initial public offerings and follow-on offerings for Intrexon Corporation (in one of the largest ever biotech IPOs), Argos Therapeutics, BioAmber, Intercept Pharmaceuticals, ProQR Therapeutics, Tokai Pharmaceuticals, OvaScience, and Supernus Pharmaceuticals
- Lightstone Ventures and others in connection with venture investment in Catabasis Pharmaceuticals
- Atlas Venture and others in connection with venture investments in Harbour Antibodies and Lysosomal Therapeutics, Inc.
- Bessemer Venture Partners and General Catalyst in connection with multiple rounds of venture investment in OvaScience
- Other leading VC firms including Apposite Capital, Fidelity, and Xeraya Capital in connection with their investments
Dr. Greenhalgh is a member of a number of professional organizations, including the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association, the Boston Bar Association and the Boston Patent Law Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2005, Dr. Greenhalgh was a senior associate at Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault LLP in the Patent and Intellectual Property Practice Group.