Josh Klatzkin is a partner in Goodwin's Private Equity Group. He specializes in representing private equity sponsors and private companies in leveraged buyouts, growth equity investments, mergers and acquisitions, leveraged recapitalizations and joint ventures. Mr. Klatzkin has extensive experience with cross-border transactions, complex pass-through structures and representing senior executives in buyout and merger transactions and frequently serves as outside general counsel to middle market private companies. His industry expertise includes software and software enabled services, industrial services, energy technology, consumer products, transportation and logistics and financial services. He also co-heads the firm’s Search Fund Practice where he represents search fund entrepreneurs throughout the lifecycle of a search fund.
Mr. Klatzkin is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Work for Clients
Mr. Klatzkin’s recently completed transactions include representing:
- JMI Equity in multiple transactions including its investments in WorkFront (f/k/a AtTask), Higher Logic, RSAM, CoreHR and Schoology.
- JMI Equity portfolio companies in exit transactions, including:
- Studer Group, Inc. in its $325 million sale to Huron Consulting Inc. (NASDAQ: HURN)
- Compusearch Inc. in its sale to ABRY Partners
- Capsule Technologies S.A.S. in its sale to Qualcomm, Inc. (NASDAQ: QCOM)
- Undertone Networks Inc. in its $180 million sale to Perion Network Ltd. (NASDAQ: PERI)
- Element Partners in multiple transactions including its investments in Agility Fuel Systems and AMP Electrical Distribution Systems.
- MissionPoint Capital Partners in multiple transactions including its investments in UpWind Solutions, Inc., OptiRTC and Trilliant Incorporated.
- Agility Fuel Systems, an Element Partners portfolio company, as outside general counsel, including in its merger with Hexagon Composites’ (OSLO: HEX) Automotive Products Division as well as in its strategic partnership with, and equity investment from, Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI).
- Infraestructural Institucional S. de R.L. de C.V., a leading Mexican infrastructure investment fund, in the sale of its general partner to BlackRock, Inc. (NYSE: BLK).
- The principals of Evercore Mexico Capital Partners, a middle market growth equity fund, in the spinout of EMCP from Evercore, Inc. (NYSE: EVR) and formation of a new fund manager, Glisco Partners.
- Alpha Holdings, S.A. de C.V., a leading Mexican consumer finance company, in its acquisition of Prestaciones Finmart, S.A.P.I. de CV, SOFOM, E.N.R. from EZCorp (NASDAQ: EZPW).
- Watkins & Shepard Trucking Company, a national less-than-load trucking firm, in its acquisition of Lodeso, Inc., a “final mile” service provider, as well as in its sale to Schneider Transportation.
- UpWind Solutions Inc., wind operations and maintenance company, in its sale to Vestas Wind Systems (Copenhagen: VWS). UpWind was a Kleiner Perkins, MissionPoint Capital and BP Ventures portfolio company.
- Transmar Group, a leading global provider of cocoa supply chain services and products, in connection with its global senior syndicated asset-backed credit facility with BNP Paribas.
- RE Community Holdings, LP, a national recycling and recovery company, as outside general counsel including in connection with multiple financings and other corporate transactions including the acquisitions of Hudson Baylor Recycling Company, Great Lakes Recycling Company as well as the disposition of non-strategic assets. RE Community is a portfolio company of Habourvest Capital, MissionPoint Capital Partners and Pegasus Capital Advisors.
- The senior management team of Coastal Sunbelt Produce Company in connection with the acquisition of the company by MSouth Equity Partners as well as the company’s subsequent acquisition by Arlon Capital Partners.
- Accordant Energy, a fuel technology company, as outside counsel including in financing and strategic transactions. Accordant is a is a portfolio company of Habourvest Capital, MissionPoint Capital Partners and Pegasus Capital Advisors.
- CoreHR, a JMI portfolio company, as outside general counsel.
- Vision Capital including in connection with its portfolio company NuVision Engineering.
- Soludos LLC, a growth stage consumer footwear company, in multiple financing transactions.
- HeyDay, LLC, a growth stage skincare business, in multiple financing transactions.
- Multiple search fund entrepreneurs and search funds in fund formation and/or acquisition transactions including Alpha Holdings, Andino Capital Partners, Beacon Tree Capital Partners, Beam Reach Capital Partners, Dendro Capital, Developer Program, Dynamic Management Partners, Metanoia Capital Partners, Monroe Hill Search Partners, Timpanogos Capital Partners, Trek Partners, Trident Holding Group, Quest Equity Partners and Western Ridge Capital Partners.
The M&A Advisor named Mr. Klatzkin a winner of 2014 “40 Under 40” Recognition Awards. The annual awards recognize emerging leaders in the M&A, financing and turnaround industry.
Franklin & Marshall College
University of Virginia School of Law