Michael Aluko is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Investment Funds practice. He works across asset classes, particularly venture capital, real estate and the growing area of digital assets, and has handled a broad range of fund sizes.
Mr. Aluko counsels clients on investment management, private investment funds, derivatives, and regulatory matters. He drafts and negotiates offering documents and operating agreements as well as investment management, subscription and other commercial agreements in connection with the formation of and investment in private investment funds (including hedge funds and fund of funds) as well as related co-investment and principal investment fund structures. Mr. Aluko advises both institutional investors and sponsors on structuring, regulatory, and legal issues impacting various private investment funds including management and “upper tier” compensation arrangements.
A unique aspect to Mr. Aluko’s practice is his involvement and understanding of the venture capital industry. He has routinely counseled clients as they embark on their first venture capital fund to more seasoned entrepreneurs. He often represents entrepreneurs in the sports, entertainment and tech industries as they establish various private funds (including proptech, fintech, climate and ESG funds) and raise capital from institutional investors. Additionally, Mr. Aluko is involved in digital assets and Non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
Mr. Aluko has handled fund sizes ranging from $50 million to over a billion. His experience includes advising:
- Advent International Corporation, a global private equity firm, in the formation of their recent funds, including GPE X which hit its hard cap of $25 billion in commitments after less than six months in the market
- A private equity, infrastructure, real assets and debt investor firm that invests on behalf of over 660 investors, including public and private pension plans, insurance companies, endowments and foundations
- A venture capital firm focused on finding, funding and fostering high-potential start-ups which will contribute to creating a low carbon future
- A research-driven venture capital firm supporting founders building world-changing companies
- Real estate venture funds, including Qualified Opportunity Zone and social impact funds looking to invest in affordable housing
- Venture capital funds
- Digital asset funds
- Social impact funds looking to invest in underserved communities and underrepresented entrepreneurs
Mr. Aluko has also represented large institutional investors, including:
- A sovereign wealth fund dedicated to enhancing sovereign wealth and contributing to the development of the domestic financial industry in its investments into private funds
- A large institutional investor that manages the defined benefit assets of retirement systems and compensation plans in their investing in private funds
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2021, Mr. Aluko was a Shareholder in Greenberg Traurig’s Investment Management and Private Funds practice. Previously, Mr. Aluko was Lead Counsel at SECOR Asset Management, a global asset manager, and before that was Assistant General Counsel at Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS). Before his time at TRS, Mr. Aluko spent a number of years in the Structured Products and Derivatives group at Schulte Roth & Zabel, where he advised and represented hedge funds and investment managers on derivatives and structured transactions. In addition, he served as in-house counsel at Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Societe Generale in New York, where he advised business units, investment managers, corporate pension plans, and other investors, in connection with derivatives regulations (including Title VII of Dodd Frank), trading agreements and private fund investments.
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, New York Bar Association
New York Law School
- New York
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Aluko has been selected for inclusion in The Legal 500 U.S. 2022.