Marie-Laure Bruneel is a partner in Goodwin’s Tax Practice. She focuses on tax matters that arise from the structuring and financing of investments, M&A transactions, leveraged buyouts, restructurings and joint ventures.
Ms. Bruneel also has particular expertise in structuring private equity and real estate investment funds.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2017, Ms. Bruneel was a partner at De Pardieu Brocas Maffei, and previously practiced at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer.
She is fluent in French and English.
Ms. Bruneel’s recent work includes advising:
Private Equity/Corporate Transactions
- Cerba Healthcare, an international network of medical biology laboratories
- In the acquisition of Viroclinics-DDL, a fast-growing global virology and immunology contract research organization,
- In the acquisition of Lifebrain, the leading Group in Italy in laboratory medicine,
- In the acquisition of Yourlab, a clinical pathology group based in western France
- In the reinforcement of its capital structure with existing shareholders and its long-term partner, PSP Investments welcoming EQT Private Equity as new shareholder and completing the exit of Partners Group, in the context of its sixth LBO.
- EMZ Partners and Sagard in the 4th LBO acquisition of Safic-Alcan, a French independent distributor of specialty chemicals, welcoming three new private equity funds, Equistone, IK Partners and GENEO Capital Entrepreneur.
- Equistone Partners Europe
- In its majority investment in Sicame, a global supplier of electrical connectors and accessories to electricity distributors,
- In the acquisition of a majority stake in Vertbaudet, Europe’s leading e-commerce platform dedicated to childhood,
- In the acquisition of Gardengate, a leading European manufacturer of aluminum gates and doors.
- IK Partners in the acquisition ICS Learn, an online learning provider.
- Latour Capital in a majority investment in the holding company of Pharmacie Lafayette (Hygie31), a major player in the health and wellness sector.
- Lion Capital in the refinancing of the Picard group, a French producer and retailer of frozen foods.
- MCC and its founders in the sale of the Fabrication Electronique de Dordogne group (FEDD), one of the French leaders in printed circuit boards solutions, to Argos Wityu.
- Tikehau Capital
- In the acquisition of Stokomani, a retailer of destocking, with more than 120 stores throughout France, including fashion, beauty, home decor, food,
- In the acquisition of a minority stake in the Maxi Bazar group, a non-food discount products retailer.
- Committed Advisors on the fundraising of Committed Advisors Primary Fund I, with a total commitment of €161 million.
- EMZ Partners on the closing of its ninth fund EMZ 9, with a total commitment of €1.043 billion.
- Latour Capital Management on the fundraising of Latour Capital III, for a total amount of more than 1 billion euros.
Areas of Practice
University of Paris II – Panthéon-Assas
- Avocat à la Cour, Paris, France
Recognition & Awards
Ms. Bruneel is recognized for her expertise by International and French preeminent, peer-reviewed publications.
- Ranked as Leading individual in Tax by Legal 500 EMEA 2021.
- Ranked as Leading in LBO Tax by Décideurs (Leaders League) 2021.
As a successful woman professional, Ms. Bruneel is committed to promoting Women leadership both inside and outside of the firm. As such, she co-leads Goodwin’s Paris Women’s Initiative Committee and has been driving women-oriented mentoring sessions, client initiatives and networking opportunities.
Ms. Bruneel authored or co-authored several articles and publications in her practice areas, such as:
- “La fiscalité des sociétés d’investissements immobiliers cotées,” Paris, EFE, 2006.
- “Lutte contre la sous-capitalisation Objectif et enjeux pratiques,” Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit n°125.
- “Entretien Capital Investissement" on tax issues that arise from management package, Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit.