Dustin Calkins is a partner in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry business unit and Joint Venture and Real Estate Finance practice. He has significant experience representing leading public and private, and national and international real estate investors on a broad array of commercial assets, including industrial, multifamily, office, hotel, and retail properties.
Drawing on his experience, Dustin guides his clients throughout the life cycle of their real estate investments and provides practical and succinct legal advice. He helps clients form joint ventures for numerous purposes, including large-scale investments, developments, and recapitalizations. Dustin advises on acquisitions and dispositions of single assets as well as large national portfolios, ground-up developments and large-scale redevelopments, commercial leases, and complex loan facilities.
Dustin’s experience includes the representation of:
- DWS Group/RREEF Property Trust on the acquisition of a 49% stockholder interest in 525 Market Street, an office tower in San Francisco. Also advised on a complex conversion of the property owner into a private REIT and the $682 million CMBS loan.*
- A private equity fund on its more than $400 million disposition of its multifamily development portfolio across multiple markets.*
- USAA on its $1.1 billion joint venture acquisition and financing of five regional malls from Westfield, which according to Real Estate Alert was the second largest retail sale (portfolio) in 2015.*
- Heitman America Real Estate Trust on its acquisition and financing of The Shops at Wailea in Hawaii, which according to Real Estate Alert was the ninth largest retail sale (individual) in 2015.*
- A real estate investment trust on its north of $1 billion acquisition and financing of an office and industrial property portfolio across the United States.*
- An international fund on its formation of a joint venture and the $245 million acquisition and financing of an approximately 300-unit multifamily complex redevelopment located in the San Francisco Bay Area.*
- An international fund on its $148 million acquisition of Buildings 2, 3, and 4 at “Stadium TechCenter,” a Class A office/R&D center located in Santa Clara, California.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Dustin is a member of the Policy Advisory Board, Fisher Center for Real Estate & Urban Economics at the University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business. He is also a member of the Urban Land Institute, the State Bar of California, and the Illinois Bar Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Dustin was a partner at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe.
University of Michigan Law School
University of Michigan
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA, Northern California Real Estate, Band 3, 2021-2022
- The Legal 500 US, Real Estate, Recommended Lawyer, 2022
- Chambers USA, Northern California Real Estate, Recognized Practitioner, 2019-2020
- Euromoney Legal Media Group, Real Estate, Rising Star, 2018
- Chambers USA, California Real Estate, Up and Coming, 2017-2018
- Chambers USA, California Real Estate, Associates to Watch, 2016-2017
- Moderator, “Back to the Office: Are You Ready?,” NAIOP Silicon Valley, June 2020