Sanj Dutta is a partner in Goodwin’s Technology group and a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Transactions and Strategies practice. He advises companies on patent prosecution across a variety of technology areas, including computer vision, image and video signal processing, machine learning, packaging, big data analytics, robotics, virtualization, semiconductors, networking, and software security. He has handled numerous IP matters in state and federal courts and before the International Trade Commission (ITC) and the Patent Trials and Appeals Board (PTAB), most relating to semiconductor technologies. He has also successfully invalidated highly litigated patents in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
With a background in electrical engineering, Mr. Dutta is well-equipped to understand complex issues that sit at the intersection of law, science and technology, enabling him to handle a wide range of issues, including those relating specifically to computer technologies.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Vineyard Investigations v. E. & J. Gallo Winery (E.D. Cal.) Defending E. & J. Gallo Winery in patent litigation relating to variable rate irrigation technology.
- Navigation Holdings v. Tung Shin (N.D. Cal.) Defending Defendants in Trade secret, breach of contract, and unfair competition litigation relating to aluminum alloy technology.
- E. & J. Gallo Winery et al v. ILVO (E.D. Cal.) Trade secret, breach of contract, and unfair competition litigation on behalf of E. & J. Gallo Winery relating to refractance window drying technology.*
- Raytheon Company v. Cray, Inc. (E.D. Tex.). Patent litigation on behalf of Raytheon related to supercomputer architecture and management software.*
- Netlist, Inc. v. Diablo Technologies, Inc., et al. (N.D. Cal.).Defending Diablo in patent and trade secret litigation related to memory modules.*
- Skyhook Wireless, Inc. v. Google Inc. (D. Mass.). Defending Google in patent litigation concerning 13 patents related to location-based services.*
- In the Matter of Certain Portable Communications Devices (2012), USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-827. Represented respondent, Nokia, in patent litigation before the ITC Section 337 concerning four patents asserted against Nokia's Lumia handsets by Digitude, LLC.*
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared and prosecuted two inter partes re-examination requests for highly litigated patents in the semiconductor chip packaging space.*
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared three ex parte re-examination requests for patents involving power controller chips.*
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared nine inter partes re-examination requests for highly licensed patents relating to optical transceivers.*
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared and prosecuted three inter partes and an ex parte re-examination requests for patents relating to microfluidic patch clamp devices for high throughput assay testing.*
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared two ex parte re-examination requests for medical imaging devices.*
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared an ex parte re-examination request for biometric thumb print authentication security and access devices.*
- Responsible for preparing an inter partes re-examination request relating to a distributed client-based data caching system.*
Acquisitions and IP Counseling
- Advised Zoox on Patent issues relating to acquisition by Amazon.
- Advised Acer on IP issues relating to the $900 million acquisition of Gateway.*
- Advised on a major technology company’s acquisition of voice-controlled personal assistant technology.*
- Advised on Twitter’s acquisition of Afterlive.tv.*
- Advised on a major technology company’s acquisition of 1Mainstream.*
- Advised on Volterra’s acquisition of Element Energy.*
- Advised on E. & J. Gallo Winery’s $1.7 billion acquisition of 30 brands from Constellation Brands.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Dutta is a lifetime member and past President of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley. Mr. Dutta is also a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee. With a diverse portfolio of pro bono client matters over the years, Mr. Dutta’s efforts include defending elderly individuals in housing discrimination cases, representing victims of domestic violence and tackling issues relating to post-Katrina gaps in victim support.
Mr. Dutta is a former Pro Tem Judge for Santa Clara County Superior Court.
The George Washington University Law School
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Dutta has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Litigation - Intellectual Property 2022-2023.
Mr. Dutta is recognized in the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine’s IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners. According to the magazine, he is a “practical lawyer who is really easy to work with,” and “commentators stress his post-grant nous, calling him ‘a real pro so far as PTAB trials are concerned.’”
Mr. Dutta’s past speaking engagements include:
- “Advanced Patent Prosecution Workshop 2017: Claim Drafting & Amendment Writing,” Practising Law Institute, August 18, 2017
- “Fundamentals of Patent Litigation 2016,” Practising Law Institute, May 12, 2016
- “Fundamentals of Patent Litigation 2015,” Practising Law Institute, May 29, 2015