Joshua R. Fattal is an associate in the Technology group of the firm’s Business Law department, and a member of the firm’s Data, Privacy, and Cybersecurity practice. He advises clients across industries on data protection best practices, complex national and international regulatory compliance, product development, transaction diligence, and incident response.
Joshua advises clients in a variety of industries on complex data privacy and cybersecurity issues related to state, federal, and global legal frameworks, including the California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA), the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), the Gramm-Leach- Bliley Act (GLBA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Joshua assists clients in developing information security policies and procedures, negotiating data transfer and processing agreements, designing third party vendor risk management programs, and product development and design.
Joshua also advises clients on incident response strategy, assisting companies in investigating data breaches and preparing notifications to customers, affected individuals, and regulators. As part of his practice, Joshua regularly performs privacy and security due diligence and negotiates transaction documents in connection with public and private corporate deals.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Joshua was a Cyber/Data/Privacy associate in the New York office of Cooley LLP.
Joshua previously served as an Attorney Advisor in the Intelligence Law Division at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, where he advised government officials on compliance with domestic and international privacy regimes and data security matters related to information sharing, data analytics, and cloud computing technology.
New York University School of Law
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Honorable Sarah Netburn
- District of Columbia
- New York
Recognition & Awards
Joshua was awarded the ASPIRE Cybersecurity Scholarship at NYU Law, a prestigious merit scholarship providing a select group of students with a cybersecurity education from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Co-Author, “How Cannabis Cos. Can Keep Up With Privacy Compliance,” Law 360, March 16, 2023
- Co-Author, “Collaborative Contracting Can Help Combat Bias In AI,” Law360, June 1, 2021
- Speaker, "Joshua R. Fattal on Fighting Disinformation with the Foreign Agents Registration Act," The Lawfare Podcast, March 12, 2020
- Author, “The Justice Department’s New, Unprecedented Use of the Foreign Agents Registration Act,” Lawfare, December 18, 2019
- Co-Author, “A Fourth Amendment Framework for Voiceprint Database Searches,” Just Security, October 17, 2019
- Author, “FARA on Facebook: Modernizing the Foreign Agents Registration Act to Address Propagandists on Social Media,” 21 N.Y.U. J. Legis. & Pub. Pol’y 903, 2019