David M. Hashmall is a retired partner and Chairman Emeritus of Goodwin, a leading Global 50 firm with more than 1,800 lawyers across the United States, Europe, and Asia. Mr. Hashmall led the firm as Chairman from 2014 to 2019, and under his leadership Goodwin grew from a primarily U.S.-focused firm into a global leader with over $1 billion in revenue. During his tenure, Goodwin expanded in Europe with office openings in Frankfurt and Paris, unveiled a new brand reflecting the firm’s unprecedented work, sharpened its focus on key client industries and talent, and brought value to clients by focusing on both the business and practice of law. He founded and led the firm’s Diversity, Equity + Inclusion Committee and throughout his tenure as Chairman leveraged the power and visibility of his position to promote greater diversity and inclusion at Goodwin and in the broader legal community. Mr. Hashmall previously led Goodwin’s Litigation Department in New York for over 10 years.
Mr. Hashmall is currently an Adjunct Professor at NYU Law School. Mr. Hashmall is also a panelist with FedArb, and a neutral with CPR, engaged in alternative dispute resolution matters as an arbitrator and mediator.
Mr. Hashmall has more than 40 years of experience litigating complex commercial disputes at both the trial and appellate levels. His extensive IP litigation experience is concentrated on patent infringement in the pharmaceutical industry, with a specific focus on Hatch-Waxman litigation.
Mr. Hashmall is a member of the Law Firm Pro Bono Project Advisory Committee of the Pro Bono Institute, whose mission is to explore and identify new approaches to and resources for the provision of legal services to the poor and disadvantaged.
New York University School of Law
The Johns Hopkins University
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Hashmall’s efforts on behalf of clients have earned him distinction as a BTI Client Service All-Star, a designation determined by BTI’s annual in-house counsel survey. He has also been recognized as a leading IP lawyer by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, where clients have called him “a terrific trial lawyer” and “a great relationship partner.” Mr. Hashmall has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Litigation - Intellectual Property.
Mr. Hashmall, who holds Martindale-Hubbell‘s highest rating of "AV®-Preeminent™," is recognized as a leader in his field by preeminent, peer-reviewed publications. His recognition includes:
- Hatch-Waxman (Branded) Litigator of the Year, LMG Life Sciences
- BTI Client Service All-Star
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000, an annual listing of the world’s leading patent practitioners, where clients note that “he inspires the greatest degree of trust and he knows the judicial process inside out – he really is a terrific trial lawyer”
- Managing IP Magazine, named an “IP Star”
- Euromoney LMG Life Sciences Guide, named a “Life Sciences Star”
- Legal 500 U.S.
- New York Super Lawyers
Mr. Hashmall has been selected as a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society. While attending law school, he was on the staff of the Annual Survey of American Law.