Greg Hoffnagle is a partner in Goodwin’s Financial Industry and Insurance group and leads the firm's Insurtech practice. Greg guides insurtechs, emerging and technology companies, venture capital and private equity firms, and other insurance-related service companies through cutting-edge compliance, regulatory, and transactional matters.
With a particular focus on the intersection of insurance and technology, a considerable part of Greg’s advisory work involves working with technology clients in creating innovative products and bringing them to market quickly, from choosing an operating structure to licensing and regulatory issues.
Greg is also an experienced litigator for complex insurance and reinsurance related disputes as well as international commercial arbitrations and internal investigations. He is also a trusted advisor for companies and institutions on risk management issues and complex insurance claims.
Greg’s recent experience includes representing:
- Numerous insurtech and emerging companies on insurance regulatory and transactional matters*
- An electric carmaker in its development of an in-house insurance company*
- A car sharing company on related insurance regulatory and liability related issues*
- A global ride sharing company in regulatory matters involving their reinsurance portfolio*
- A global online financial services company on insurance regulatory and innovative product development issues*
- An online lending marketplace on complex insurance regulatory and product development issues*
- A venture capital company focusing on the digital currency market on innovative insurance products*
- A digital currency exchange and custodian on cutting-edge insurance products and coverages*
Insurance Dispute Matters
- A global manufacturing technology trade association in a highly complex $42 million claim related to the association’s forced cancelation of it bi-annual trade show as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic*
- A major international retrocessionaire in an AAA arbitration (and related litigations in the US and Brazil) against a state-owned Brazilian reinsurance company in a dispute arising out of a $750 million loss to an iron ore processing plant in Brazil*
- An international manufacturer in a first-party property claim stemming from a catastrophic roof collapse to one of its factories in Northern Spain*
- A Bermuda insurance company in a London arbitration with respect to a coverage dispute relating to a major environmental catastrophe stemming from the Tennessee Valley Authority’s coal fly ash slurry spill*
- A UK based reinsurer in a $30 million reinsurance arbitration dispute involving rescission of a large workers' compensation program*
- A Panamanian reinsurer in a $15 million reinsurance arbitration dispute with a US retrocessionaire involving dozens of automatic and facultative reinsurance*
- An international company in bankruptcy litigation concerning a purported assignment of rights to seek insurance coverage under policies that were assigned by the insured to the liquidating trust*
- Several Lloyd's Syndicates in a dispute with their insured, a Mexican energy company, concerning business interruption losses caused during the expropriation of its hydroelectric power plant*
- An international energy mutual in a Bermuda Form arbitration concerning a $350 million claim stemming from catastrophic losses of offshore oil platforms in the North Sea*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Greg was most recently at Cooley where he co-led the firm’s Insurtech group and was a member of the Insurance practice.
Greg is a member of the New York State Bar Association and AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society.
Pace Law School
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Recognition & Awards
Greg is recognized by Super Lawyers for Alternative Dispute Resolution (2020) and for Insurance Coverage (2016-2017).
Greg’s recent speaking engagements include:
- Speaker, “Approaching Contractual Indemnity Provisions: Insurance and Risk Management Considerations,” WTW Webinar, December 2022
- InsurtechFund Powered by InsurTechNY “MGA Lab Model Day” New York, September 2022
- Quoted, “Regulators Scrutinize Private Equity’s Impact on Insurance,” InsuranceNewsNet, April 2022
- OnRamp Insurance Conference: "Making Insurance More Accessible" Webinar, May 2021
- "But Is It Insurance?: Identifying Whether a Product is an Insurance Product...or Not" Webinar, March 2021
- InsurTech Alliance Meeting: "Partnerships, Legal Issues and Insurance Regulation" New York, October 2019
- Techstars: Insurtech Contracting 101: "Key Points Around Contracting Issues with Carriers" Webinar, July 2019
- IRLA Congress 2019: "Insurtech — What Next?" London, June 2019
- Emerging Risks & Innovation Summit: "Disruption and Liability Ownership" New York, May 2019
- Advisen Casualty Conference: “Blockchain for Blockheads: The Impact on Casualty Risk and Insurance?” New York, April 2019
- OnRamp Insurance Conference: “Why Can't We Be Friends? Brokers & Insurtechs” Minneapolis, April 2019
- LMA: "Insurtech in the US, Bermuda and Beyond" London, February 2019
- InsureTech Connect Conference: "Blockchain — The Force Awakens" Las Vegas, October 2018
- Techstars: Innovation Meets Regulation: "The Effect of Regulations on Insurtech and Vice Versa" Webinar, September 2018
- Techstars: Insurtech Contracting 101: "Key Points Around Contracting Issues with Carriers" Webinar, July 2018
- Bermuda on Blockchain: The Rising Tide on Insurance Innovation Conference: “The Signal and the Noise — Blockchain Value in the Business of (Re)Insurance” Bermuda, June 2018
- OnRamp Insurance Conference: "Making Insurance Innovation Profitable" Chicago, April 2018