Alex Jacobs is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Industry group and serves as co-chair of its Joint Ventures and Real Estate Finance practice. His practice focuses on the representation of private and institutional investors, owners and developers in connection with the acquisition, disposition, development, and financing of commercial real estate properties. He also negotiates and structures complex joint venture arrangements between sponsors and capital providers. Mr. Jacobs represents clients acquiring, developing, repositioning and investing in a wide range of asset types including land for residential development, multifamily residential projects, retail properties, office buildings, and hotels and resorts.
Mr. Jacobs’ representative experience includes:
- Representation of an investment group sponsored by Sydell Group in its acquisition, development and financing of the NoMad Los Angeles hotel, the Saguaro Scottsdale hotel, the Saguaro Palm Springs hotel, the LINE DC hotel, and the LINE Los Angeles hotel.*
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in the acquisition, financing and recapitalization of a luxury resort hotel in Maui with an anticipated development budget of more than $200 million.*
- Representation of a consortium of institutional real estate investors in connection with the sale of the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and the Waldorf Astoria Orlando.*
- Representation of an institutional investor in the development of a 224-unit multi-family apartment building in Denver’s Golden Triangle district.*
- Representation of an institutional investor in the sale of Orange Center Tower in Orange, CA, which constituted the second-largest office transaction in Orange County in 2017.*
- Representation of an institutional investor in the acquisition, joint venture and redevelopment of a 250,000 sf Class-A creative office campus in the Fashion District of Downtown Los Angeles.*
- Representation of public homebuilders in the acquisition of land for entitlement and residential development, involving the negotiation of profit participation agreements, easements, option agreements, and development agreements.*
- Representation of institutional investors in the acquisition, sale and development of master planned mixed-use communities on the West Coast and East Coast.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Jacobs is a member of the Urban Land Institute. He has also served as a member of the USC Gould School of Law - Los Angeles County Bar Association's Real Estate Law and Business Forum Planning Committee.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Jacobs was a partner at Pircher, Nichols, & Meeks in Los Angeles, where he served on Pircher’s executive committee. Before Pircher, Mr. Jacobs was a tax associate at Loeb & Loeb. While attending law school, Mr. Jacobs served as a senior editor of the USC Law Review.
University of Southern California, Gould School of Law
University of California, Berkeley
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Jacobs has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Real Estate Law 2022-2023.
Mr. Jacobs was included in the 2019 and 2021 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Real Estate Law, and nominated for the 2019 Leaders in Law Awards hosted by the Los Angeles Business Journal. He was also named a Super Lawyers’ Southern California Rising Star in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016 and named to “Who’s Who in Real Estate” by Los Angeles Business Journal in 2013.
Panelist, “Joint Venture Agreements: Recent Trends and New Perspectives,” USC Gould School of Law 2016 Real Estate Law and Business Forum.