Peter Junghänel is a partner in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry group and a member of its Real Estate Joint Ventures, PropTech and Real Estate Finance practices. He focuses his practice on acquisitions and sales of real estate properties via share and asset deals, sale and lease-back transactions, commercial leases and all other property-related transactions and contracts. Peter also has considerable experience in corporate transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, MBOs and other private equity-related transactions, and commercial contracts. He regularly advises a wide range of international and domestic German clients, including open- and closed-end real estate funds and family offices.
Peter’s recent experience includes representing:
- Castlelake, L.P. on a number of successful transactions in the German market (2016 to 2018)
- Castlelake, L.P. on its acquisition of the Gravity real estate portfolio from the financial investors Marcol and Marathon Asset Management. The transaction was structured as a combined share and loan acquisition (2017)
- Castlelake, L.P. on its acquisition of the Treveria property portfolio, which consists of commercial retail and residential space, from Commerzbank (2017)
- Batipart SAS in its acquisition of a portfolio comprising parts of Center Parc Hochsauerland (2017)
- KanAm Grund in its acquisition of Campus E in Munich from BlackRock (2017)
- GreenOak Real Estate on a €100 million loan to finance a real estate portfolio (acquisition as well as capital expenditures) in Germany (2017)
- G5 Logistikforum Ginsheim-Gustavsburg GmbH & Co. KG on the sale of a logistics center to TH Real Estate and Palmira Capital Partners through an asset deal
- International family office on the sale of 49 properties to portfolio manager GPEP and Universal-Investment by way of a combined asset and share deal (2016)
- Internationally active family office in its disposal of a large residential portfolio consisting of over 50 assets throughout Germany with a focus on Berlin (2016)
- Gramercy Property Europe plc, a Europe-focused real estate investment fund sponsored by Gramercy Property Trust (Gramercy), on the sale of 100% of the Fund’s assets to a consortium of clients managed by AXA Investment Managers (2017)
- Gramercy Property Europe in its acquisition of a portfolio of light industrial and logistics assets in Germany and France (2016)
Peter was admitted as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) in 1999. Prior to joining Goodwin in 2016, hewas a partner in the Frankfurt office of Ashurst LLP, where he served as Managing Partner of Ashurst’s German offices from 2009 to 2013 and as Head of the German Real Estate Practice from 2006 until 2015.
Peter is a member of the Urban Land Institute, a global organization that focuses on a variety of verticals within the real estate industry.
Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe Universität Frankfurt
Second State Exam1998
Oberlandesgericht Frankfurt (District Court)
- England & Wales
Recognition & Awards
Peter is consistently recognized as a leader in his field by preeminent, peer-reviewed publications, including JUVE Legal 500, Legal 500 EMEA (2021 and 2018) Chambers Europe (2021 and 2017), Best Lawyers (2022), and Who’s Who Legal: Real Estate (2017). He was named among Germany’s Best Lawyers 2016, 2017 and 2018 by the German business journal Handelsblatt for Real Estate Law, and was ranked by JUVE in the top 16 leading real estate partners under the age of 50 in Germany. Legal 500 Europe, Middle East and Asia recommended Peter for Real Estate & Construction in its 2018 and 2021 edition. Chambers Europe recognized him its in 2018, 2020 and 2021 editions as leading lawyer in the field of real estate.