Larry Kaplan, retired partner to Goodwin's Real Estate Industry group, represents institutions, owners, developers and tenants during the permitting, acquisition and financing process. Mr. Kaplan has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for his land use and development expertise. In addition, he has considerable experience and expertise in construction and permanent lending on behalf of lending institutions and in hazardous waste law and liability.
Mr. Kaplan's clients include several universities and colleges, an insurance company, a REIT that develops upscale retail outlet centers, a supermarket chain, multifamily development owners and developers, a major athletic shoe manufacturer and retailer, and a health care institution. He has recently represented:
- Emerson College on the permitting and development of a new 300-student dormitory at Boylston Place in downtown Boston
- New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc. on the permitting and development of a mixed use facility in Brighton, Massachusetts, containing about 1.5 million square feet
- A private developer in the permitting and development of a waterfront hotel in Gloucester, Massachusetts
- The Copley Group in connection with a $50 million financing of many of its multi-family residences
- UniFirst Corporation in connection with its expansion acquisitions in New Jersey, Louisiana, Houston and South Carolina
- Highland Real Estate Development in connection with the permitting and development of an upscale age restricted residential development in Weston, Massachusetts
- Oxford Capital Group LLC in connection with the permitting and development of a hotel in downtown Boston, Massachusetts
- Boston College in connection with the permitting and development of about 1.5 million square feet of buildings devoted to educational use
Mr. Kaplan is a member of the Abstract Club, the Massachusetts Conveyancers Association and the Boston, Massachusetts and American Bar Associations. He has previously served as chairman of the Real Property Council of the Massachusetts Bar Association. He was also an associate member of the Zoning Board of Appeal in Brookline, Massachusetts for almost 20 years, and a vice president of the New England Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Real Estate Executives.
Boston University School of Law
- U.S. Supreme Court
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Kaplan was a 2021 recommended lawyer for Land use/zoning by The Legal 500. Mr. Kaplan has been recognized as a “senior statesman” by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for his real estate zoning and land use work. He has also been recognized by Who's Who in America.
While at Boston University School of Law, Mr. Kaplan was an editor of the Boston University Law Review.
Mr. Kaplan has been a frequent panelist at real estate seminars on both the national and local level. He has lectured on such matters as zoning, hazardous waste and asbestos law and liability, impact fees and other governmental exactions, and title insurance. His audiences include the Massachusetts Bar Association, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the International Council of Shopping Centers, the National Association of Corporate Real Estate Executives, the Industrial Development Research Council, the American Land Title Association and the New England Construction Users Council.
Mr. Kaplan has been a member of the Board of Trustees of Newbury College in Brookline, Massachusetts for 14 years, and is currently serving as its board chair. Mr. Kaplan is also a member of the Finance Committee for the Society of Jesus of New England.