Dr. Joachim Kayser is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Industry group and Private Investment Funds practice. He advises investment funds as well as their asset managers, intermediaries, and institutional investors on regulatory and tax matters. He has significant experience in advising on the structuring and distribution (including operational aspects like ongoing compliance, reporting etc.) of alternative investment funds and financial products, with emphasis on real estate funds, hedge funds, infrastructure funds, private debt and equity funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and European undertakings for collective investment in transferable securities (UCITS). Dr. Joachim also regularly advises German authorities and ministries on legislative and regulatory matters.
Areas of Practice
Prior to joining Goodwin, Dr. Joachim was a partner at Dechert LLP in Frankfurt. Prior to Dechert, Dr. Joachim served as partner and head of the alternative investment group and asset management regulatory consulting team at PwC. His previous work experience also includes working as lawyer at a leading alternative investment boutique law firm in Germany, as well as investment director at a corporate venture capital firm in the media industry.
Dr. Joachim is a member of the European Fund and Asset Management Association (EFAMA), where he serves on the Pensions Standing Committee. He has previously served as Treasurer and Deputy Chairman of Bundesverband Alternative Investments (BAI), and as a board member for the German Association for Financial Analysis and Asset Management.
PhDInternational Business Law2000
University of Heidelberg
Second State Exam1997
First State Exam1995
Free University of Berlin (Freie Universität Berlin)
Recognition & Awards
Dr. Joachim has been recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers, Legal 500 Deutschland, and Who’s Who Legal for his work with private and investment funds. He is also recognized by the Financial Times Most Innovative Lawyers Europe, and was elected as a “Most Valued Individual Lawyer of the Year 2020” in the Investment Law category of the annual German best lawyers ranking published by Germany’s leading business newspaper Handelsblatt.
Dr. Joachim is a frequent contributor to investment fund regulation and taxation publications, and is a regular speaker at industry events and several universities in Germany.
Dr. Joachim's recent publications include:
- Author, “Freie Fahrt für privates Kapital in Infrastrukturanlagen“, Boersenzeitung, April 2023
- Co-Author, “Krypto-FAV und MiCar: neue Regeln und neue Gatekeeper,” Boersen-Zeitung, December 2022
- Author, “Kapital für die Transformation Deutschlands,“ Boersenzeitung, February 2022
- Co-Author, “Another Jigsaw Piece in the Green Transformation Process - The Planned New Supervisory Regime for the Insurance Industry,” BAI Newsletter, October 2021
- Co-Author, “Regulatorischer Rückenwind für Infrastrukturinvestments,” Absolut Report, September 2021
- Co-Author, “A Guide to Germany’s New Pre-Marketing Rules,” The Drawdown, August 2021
- Co-Author, “Legal framework ESG – an evaluating look at taxonomy and disclosure regulation,” Absolut Report, May 2021
His recent speaking engagements include:
- German Sustainability Network – Focus Investments, The EU Green Bond Standard (EUGBS) – Webinar (October 25, 2021)
- Investor Panel: Current developments and trends in the field of alternative investments? Sustainability Initiatives - Compatibility of ESG and Alternative Investments, SZ Kapitalanlagetag – Munich (September 15, 2021)
- What to know about the German Market, How to Market Funds in Germany?, AFG — Paris (October 22, 2019)
- PDI Germany Forum 2019 (Private Debt Investor Conference): Panel Session “Lifting the Fund Veil,” Why true portfolio look-through and regulatory reporting are key to the success of marketing Alternative Investments Funds to Institutional Investors — Munich (June 13, 2019)