Dr. Paresh Kumar is a senior associate in the firm’s Life Sciences group in the Intellectual Property Transactions and Strategies practice. He serves on the firmwide Committee of Business Law Associates (COBLA), the Boston Hiring Committee, and the Boston Committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity (CRED).
Paresh maintains an active pro bono practice and serves as the lead outside counsel to OUTbio (Boston), the biotech industry’s largest LGBTQ+ professionals group.
In addition, Paresh guest lectures on intellectual property at Northeastern University.
Paresh’s expertise resides at the intersection of science, business, and law. He represents emerging to mature biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic and other life sciences companies in connection with strategic intellectual property transactions, including licenses, collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, royalty monetization, R&D agreements, commercial contracts, and other corporate activities such as investments, venture/debt financings, venture philanthropy and IPOs. Paresh brings a unique set of firsthand experiences throughout the life sciences sector, including benchtop research, clinical research, FDA, pharmacy practice (retail, hospital, sterile/non-sterile compounding, and ambulatory care), academic technology transfer, finance (BD and FP&A), and venture capital.
- Moderna in various license and collaboration transactions in the field of genetic medicines, including license and collaboration agreements with Metagenomi, Inc., Life Edit Therapeutics, and Generation Bio Co.
- Moderna in its supply agreements for Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine with governments around the world
- bit.bio in its collaboration and option agreement with BlueRock for iPSC-derived regulatory T cells
- An early-stage biotech company in a collaboration agreement with a large pharmaceutical company that includes an option to efficiently execute a pre-negotiated merger agreement
- Disc Medicine in a license agreement with Mabwell Therapeutics involving upfront payment of $10 million, development and commercial milestones totaling up to $412.5 million, and tiered, mid to high single-digit royalties on net sales of the antibodies
- AbCellera Biologics in a strategic alliance with Rallybio Corporation to discover, develop, and commercialize novel antibody-based therapeutics for rare diseases
- Envisagenics, an AI-driven biotechnology company focused on RNA splicing diseases, in its research collaboration with Bristol Meyers Squibb to identify alternative splicing-derived targets for therapeutic development in oncology
- Acadia Pharmaceuticals in a collaboration agreement with Stoke Therapeutics where Stoke received $60 Million Upfront and is eligible to additionally receive up to $907 Million in Milestones and Royalties
- Concert Pharmaceuticals in its sale to BVF Partners and RA Capital of a partial interest in potential future royalties on sales of AVP-786
- ProQR Therapeutics in a collaboration agreement with Eli Lilly where ProQR received $50 million consisting of upfront payment and equity investment, and ProQR is eligible to additionally receive up to approximately $1.25 billion in research, development, and commercialization milestones, plus royalties
- Xenikos B.V. in connection with a convertible note financing by Veloxis and a simultaneous granting of an option to acquire the shares of Xenikos
- Trillium Therapeutics in its $2.3 billion sale to Pfizer
- Exicure exclusive collaboration with Ipsen on treatment for rare neurodegenerative disorders
- LEXEO Therapeutics in its acquisition of Stelios Therapeutics and its gene therapy programs for rare cardiovascular diseases
- Centessa Pharmaceuticals plc in a $379.5 Million Initial Public Offering
- Licensing of intellectual property assets from research institutions
Paresh is a member of the Boston Bar Association and the South Asian Bar Association of Greater Boston.
Boston University School of Law
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Recognition & Awards
- Northeastern University Alumni Commencement Speaker (Graduate), 2023
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinder, Class of 2023