Tom LaFond is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Equity group and Asset Management Transactions practice. He advises clients in a variety of industries on a broad range of transactional, securities and regulatory matters. He has particular expertise in the asset management industry, where he represents managers, fund sponsors, management teams and private equity and strategic investors in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings, and minority investments. Thomas also advises firms and management teams lift-out transactions and succession planning, including structuring ownership and governance arrangements to protect and enhance firm value.
Tom counsels financial services firms on fiduciary, regulatory and transactional matters relating to their asset management activities, including structuring portfolio investments, formation and operation of public and private investment funds, and capital markets transactions.
Tom's transactional experience includes representing:
- First Eagle Investment Management in strategic transactions
- TA Associates in various acquisitions, restructurings and dispositions of asset management firms
- Abingworth in its sale to Carlyle
- Segall Bryant & Hamill in its sale to CI Financial
- Exeter Property Group in its sale to EQT
- State Street Bank & Trust Company in transactions and joint ventures
- Virtus Investment Partners in strategic acquisitions
- Affiliated Managers Group in acquisitions and restructurings of asset management and wealth management firms
- Boston Private Bank & Trust Company in restructurings and sales of wealth management firms
- TA Realty in its sale to Mitsubishi Estate Company
- Boston Private Bank & Trust Company in acquisitions, sales and restructurings of wealth management firms
- Estancia Capital Partners in control and minority investments
- Knights of Columbus in strategic investments and restructurings of asset managers
- Numerous targets and investors in strategic and “GP stakes” minority investment transactions
Stanford Law School
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, Honorable John D. Butzner, Jr.