Samantha Lake Coghlan is a partner in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She is a former co-chair of the firm’s London office. Samantha advises on the structuring, establishment, operation, and restructuring of real estate private investment funds and other structured real estate investment vehicles.
Samantha advises fund managers and a range of investors on closed and open ended real estate funds, co-investments, club deals, joint ventures, segregated accounts, and other corporate real estate transactions. She also advises on related matters, including carried interest structures, set-up of fund manager platforms, and management team spinouts.
Samantha is also a member in Goodwin’s PropTech Initiative, which is focused on supporting the intersection of Real Estate and Technology through thoughtful collaboration across the two practice areas. As a key member of the PropTech Steering Committee, she assists in implementing strategy across the two groups to support European clients involved in this emerging subsector, including assisting clients involved in facilitating deals in this space.
Ms. Lake Coghlan has represented:
- Advised Ares Management Corporation in the final closing of Ares European Property Enhancement Partners III SCSp. The Fund was oversubscribed with approximately €1.5 billion of commitments compared to its €1.0 billion target and is more than twice the size of its 2016 predecessor fund
- Advised Tokoro Capital on its maiden fund, which raised €100 million in capital commitments. The TKO-I LP fund, backed by a major European institution, has approximately €250 million of capital to invest
- Slate Asset Management on the structuring and fundraising of its first European real estate fund, Slate European Real Estate Fund III, which closed at its hard cap of €250 million
- Ares Management on the structuring and establishment of Ares European Real Estate Fund V, which raised €1.78 billion
- Baumont Real Estate on the structuring and establishment of its first European real estate fund, which raised €337 million
- NREP on the establishment of its multi-strategy real estate fund, NSF IV which has raised €1.9 billion
- NREP on the closing of its Nordic Strategies Fund III at €900 million, which will focus on providing better real estate products to select underserved groups of users, including students, young professionals needing flexible affordable living, young families, active seniors seeking connectedness, and seniors in need of more assisted living
- NREP, a pan-Nordic real estate investment manager on the establishment of NREP Logistics Property Fund, a €1.1 billion long term capital Nordic logistics real estate fund, seeded with an initial portfolio of 49 logistics properties
- Ares Management on the raising of Ares European Property Enhancement Partners II, a European value add fund, which held its final close with total commitments of €665 million
- NREP on the establishment of its NREP Nordic Strategies Fund II (NSF2) which has an investment capacity of €1.7 billion and will invest primarily in the modern logistics, necessity-driven retail and residential sectors in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Norway
- Brookfield Office Properties in its 50/50 joint venture with Concord Pacific, an international residential specialist, to develop a 50-story residential property at Principal Place in Shoreditch in London
- Deutsche Asset & Wealth management (formerly RREEF Real Estate) on the establishment of a real estate joint funding structure with a sovereign wealth fund to purchase One Angel Square in Manchester
- GreenOak Real Estate Advisors on the establishment of a fund to acquire Allen House, a prime six-storey residential property located on Allen Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
- HIG Capital in relation to Bayside Capital’s (a credit affiliate of HIG Capital) joint venture with M7 Real Estate to acquire light industrial real estate in the Netherlands
- Ares Management on the establishment of various real estate co-investment vehicles investing in Germany, the UK and other European jurisdictions
Samantha is a member of the Advisory Board of WiLEF (Women in Law Empowerment Forum).
Diploma in Law1996
Guildford, Surrey, UK
College of Law
University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
Recognition & Awards
Samantha is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers and Partners UK (2023) and is recognized in The Legal 500’s ‘Hall of Fame’ (2023) due to her extensive experience in the Real Estate Funds space. She has also been recognized as a leader in the field by Who’s Who Legal: Private Funds and for excellence by IFLR1000.
Moreover, in 2021 Samantha was named in IFLR1000’s Women Leaders. Those selected for this honor are among “the leading female transactional lawyers in the world,” and have “impressive track records,” and “are consistently recommended by clients and peers for the quality of their advice and service.”
Client testimonials note:
- "A top-notch counsellor, Samantha is truly a national treasure."
- "Samantha is very knowledgeable and has a broad understanding of what competitors are doing."
- "Samantha Lake Coghlan and Justin Cornelius are simply outstanding; my favourite partners to work with throughout my career.”