Philipp Lauer is an associate in Goodwin’s Tax practice. Philipp advises German and international clients on various tax matters. He focuses his practice on private equity and M&A transactions as well as the structuring of investment funds.
His professional experience includes advising:
- Summit Partners on its agreement to sell its shares in German-based Elatec group, a leading international developer and supplier of secure access solutions, to SGT German Private Equity
- Imprivata Inc. ("Imprivata") on the acquisition of OGiTiX Software AG ("OGiTiX")
- Triton on the sale of dogado to Cinven and OTPP
- Imerys on the sale of its High Temperate Solutions (HTS) business to Platinum Equity*
- Antin on its strategic partnership with Blue Elephant Energy AG*
- Advent on its global joint venture with LANXESS and the joint acquisition of DSM Engineering Materials*
- Ascential plc on the acquisition of Sellics GmbH*
- Paragon on the acquisition of majority stake in KME SPECIAL*
- Bitly Inc. on the acquisition of Egoditor GmbH*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Philipp worked as an associate at Latham & Watkins LLP.
Second State Exam2021
Higher Regional Court of Hamburg
University of California, Los Angeles
First State Exam2016
University of Muenster
- Co-Author, “Carry on! Alles geklärt bei der Besteuerung des Carried Interest?” (Carry on! Everything clarified with regard to the taxation of carried interest?), Die Unternehmensbesteuerung (Ubg), 2023, p. 435-447
- Co-Author, “Inkongruente Gewinnausschüttungen oder “Gesellschaftsrecht vs. Finanzverwaltung”?” (Disproportionate profit distributions or “corporate law vs. tax administration?”), Der Betrieb (DB), 2022, p. 985-995
- Author, “Die steuerliche Behandlung des Forderungsverzichts eines Personengesellschafters” (The tax treatment of a waiver of claims by a partner of a partnership), Deutsches Steuerrecht (DStR), 2021, p. 2333-2338
- Author, “Abzugsfähigkeit von Sponsoringaufwendungen als Betriebsausgaben unter Berücksichtigung des Abzugsverbots des § 4 Abs. 5 S. 1 Nr. 7 EStG” (Deductibility of sponsoring as business expenses taking into account the prohibition of deductions according to Sec. 4 Par. 5 Sent. 1 No. 7 of the German Income Tax Act (EStG)), Deutsches Steuerrecht (DStR), 2021, p. 1802-1806