Ann Seung-Eun Lee is a counsel in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry group. Ms. Lee’s legal practice involves structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing complex commercial real estate and corporate transactions, including joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions, development projects and financings involving all asset classes, including commercial office buildings, hotels, retail properties and industrial properties. She has represented institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, Fortune 100 companies and other property owners, managers and developers.
Ms. Lee has represented institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, Fortune 100 companies, asset management companies and other international property investors in a variety of transactions, often with a cross-border component, involving all asset classes, including commercial office buildings, logistics facilities, hotels, retail properties, and residential buildings. Her representative experiences include advising on:
- Acquisition and long-term leaseback of flagship store for high-end retail company in Napa, CA.
- Acquisition and financing for the acquisition of a $109 million portfolio of seven hotel properties located in Key West, FL.
- Acquisition and financing for the acquisition of equity interests in the owners of an $88 million apartment complex located in Everett, WA.
- Acquisition of 250 future cell towers to be constructed throughout WI.
- Multiple option agreements for the acquisition of future development sites for an office building and mixed-use property in CA.
- Acquisition and joint venture between affiliates of two REITs for the acquisition and operation of over 1.1 million square feet of office and lab properties in South San Francisco, CA, with potential future development of an additional 640,000 square feet of office and lab properties.
- Recapitalization of a joint venture for the acquisition and operation of a $1.28 billion portfolio of 85 multifamily residential properties located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- $110 million platform joint venture for the acquisition, development and operation of numerous high-end outdoor lodging properties throughout the United States, including CA, NY, MA, AZ and UT.
- Construction financing and preferred equity joint venture for the acquisition and development of a $350 million mixed-use residential, office and retail project in downtown Oakland, CA.
- Joint venture and financing for two high net worth venture capitalists for the development of a luxury boutique hotel on a historic site in Los Olivos, CA.
- Joint venture for the $101 million acquisition, renovation and operation of two multifamily apartment projects located in Las Vegas, NV.
- Joint venture for the development of five Class A industrial facilities totaling approximately 963,000 square feet in Commerce City, CO.
- Joint venture for the multi-phased renovation and repositioning of a Class A office building located in Portland, OR.
- Joint venture and financing for the $143 million acquisition and renovation of the San Francisco Armory Building.
- Joint venture for the $230 million acquisition and development of a multifamily development in San Jose, CA.
- Acquisition for sovereign wealth fund of trophy assets in key cities in the U.S. as well as in London, Sydney, Munich and Paris.*
- Joint venture to acquire a portfolio of 15 residential buildings located across eight U.S. states.*
- Joint venture to acquire a portfolio of student housing buildings located across multiple U.S. states.*
- Acquisition and financing of a Fortune 100 tech company’s headquarters in Seattle, WA.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Ms. Lee is a member of the Real Property Law Section of both the Bar Association of San Francisco and the American Bar Association. She is also a member of the Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Ms. Lee was a Senior Foreign Legal Consultant at Kim & Chang, a leading law firm in South Korea. She was also with Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton in New York prior to that time.
Yale Law School
- New York
Recognition & Awards
Ms. Lee was recognized in the 2016 and 2017 editions of the Chambers Asia Pacific Guide as a “rising star” in Real Estate in Korea.
Ms. Lee’s publications include:
- Real Estate Finance & Investment Review 2014/15: Korea Chapter (Euromoney, 2014) (Co-Author)
- KOTRA Invest Korea Conference, Investing in Korea: Legal Procedures and Issues (2013) (Speaker)
- The Real Estate Review (First Edition): Korea Chapter (Law Business Research, 2012) (Co-Author)
- The Joint Venture as an Alternative Source of Capital (New York Law Journal, 2009) (Co-Author)
- A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Words: Conversational Versus Eyewitness Testimony in Criminal Convictions, 44 American Criminal Law Review 1 (2007) (Co-Author)