Jason F. Monfort is a partner in Goodwin’s Financial Industry group and Investment Management practice. Jason represents mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, independent directors/trustees of mutual funds and exchange-traded funds, registered investment advisers, banks, broker-dealers, private investment funds, insurance companies, and other financial institutions in the full spectrum of financial services regulation applicable to developing, marketing, and offering financial products. Jason advises clients on new product offerings, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory filings, reorganizations, compliance policies, regulatory investigations, exemptive applications and other innovative regulatory issues.
Jason works with clients on a wide range of regulatory, corporate and transactional matters, including:
- Counseling mutual fund and exchange-traded fund complexes and their boards of directors/trustees on various aspects of the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Securities Act of 1933 and other federal securities laws during all stages of investment company operation, including fund formation matters and ongoing Securities and Exchange Commission regulatory, compliance and registration requirements, and corporate governance matters
- Counseling U.S. and non-U.S. registered investment advisers regarding operation, registration and compliance, including with respect to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Securities Act of 1933, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Commodity Exchange Act and the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000
- Counseling registered funds and their boards of directors/trustees on shareholder activism and related corporate governance matters
- Representing funds and investment advisers in obtaining exemptive relief and no-action letters from the Securities and Exchange Commission Staff
- Representing funds, investment advisers and boards of directors in connection with investment adviser mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, as well as fund mergers, reorganizations, redomicilings and liquidations
- Counseling investment advisers and broker-dealers in connection with a broad range of regulatory and transactional matters, including registration and compliance filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and the National Futures Association
- Advising insurance companies on life and annuity products
Areas of Practice
Jason is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the D.C. bar association.
Boston College Law School
- District of Columbia
Recognition & Awards
- Nationally recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers Global as a leader in the field of mutual funds law
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Mutual Fund Industry Awards Rising Star
- Goodwin Pro Bono Recognition
Jason is a frequent speaker on financial industry topics and regularly contributes articles to the firm’s Financial Services Weekly News Roundup. Jason is also a contributing author to PLI’s treatise entitled “Mutual Funds and Exchange Traded Funds Regulation”.
While attending law school, Jason was the Senior Articles Editor of the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review.