Caine Moss is a partner in Goodwin's Technology group. He previously served on the firm’s Executive Committee and was a former Business Law department Leader for the firm’s Silicon Valley office. He has significant experience working with software, AI, internet, and financial services companies through all stages of their growth. In addition, he has broad transactional expertise, particularly in the areas of venture capital, public and private mergers and acquisitions, and representation of issuers and underwriters in public equity offerings. He is a key contributor to Goodwin’s Founders Workbench, an online resource for start-ups, emerging companies and the entrepreneurial community. Caine has been recognized as a national leader in the tech space by The Legal 500 US.
Cited by Chambers USA for his expertise in the Venture Capital category, Caine is, according to the guide, “a longstanding practitioner in the venture capital space” who “regularly advises growing companies, and their investors, in the technology and financial sectors.” Clients note that his strengths include “his speed of response, precision of advice and a great balance of legal versus business positioning.” Additionally, “the network he has and the visibility of what’s going on is invaluable.” Caine has also been recognized as a national leader in the tech space by The Legal 500 US.
Caine recently completed IPOs for clients Marqeta and Thredup.
Caine has represented companies and investors in over one hundred M&A transactions, including:
- Applied Intuition, an autonomous driving software company, in its acquisition of Embark Technologies
- TaxJar, a sales tax compliance platform, in its sale to Stripe
- Greenbits, a cannibis retail point of sale platform, to Dutchie
- WePay, a payments platform, in its sale to JP Morgan Chase
- Ciitizen, a patient records platform, in its sale to Invitae
- Gliimpse, a health-technology company, in its sale to Apple
- 41st Parameter, a global fraud detection and prevention company, in its sale to Experian
Some of Caine's current company clients include Abra, Applied Intuition, eightfold.ai, Faros.ai, Harness, Merit Beauty, Parsable, Realty Mogul, RocketLawyer, Thredup, Trusona, Versed Skin, Upside and Wiser Solutions.
Caine's current representative venture capital clients include Canaan Partners, Greycroft Partners, Headline Ventures, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, Thomvest, Upfront Ventures and USVP.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Caine was a corporate and securities partner in the Silicon Valley office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.
Harvard Law School
Recognition & Awards
Caine has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Corporate Law 2022-2023.
Caine is consistently in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Venture Capital. He was also recognized as a national leader by The Legal 500 United States for his work on mergers, acquisitions and buyouts for venture capital and emerging companies, and previously, the Daily Journal named Caine one of the “Top 20 Under 40” lawyers in California.
Caine is the author of several articles, including:
- Author, “6 Habits of a Successful Tech Lawyer," Law360, May 10, 2017
- Co-author, “Board Relations 101: Advice to Entrepreneurs on Navigating Board Dynamics,” VentureBeat, June 2, 2015
- Co-author, “5 Founder-Friendly Financing Terms that Give Power to Entrepreneurs,” VentureBeat, November 16, 2014
- Co-author, “6 Things Entrepreneurs Should Do Before Selling Their Company,” VentureBeat, June 4, 2013
- Co-author, “The Basics of Founder Liquidity in Venture Financings,” VentureBeat, October 28, 2011
- Author, “How to Select Your Company's Lawyer,” VentureBeat, July 27, 2010
- “Private Equity & Venture Capital Investing: Legal, Financial and Strategic Techniques for Successful Investing,” PLI
- Author, “Control: The Critical Issue in Negotiating Financing Terms,” The Entrepreneurs Report: Private Company Financing Trends, Fall 2008
In addition, he is a contributor to Goodwin’s Founders Workbench blog and a frequent speaker on topics related to securities laws and corporate governance.