Katherine (Katie) Murphy, a partner in the firm’s Real Estate group, co-chair of Real Estate Transaction Services, and chair of Goodwin’s Leasing practice, focuses her practice in the representation of landlords, tenants, lenders, investors, and developers in commercial lease transactions. Katie is a LEED Green Associate and has extensive experience negotiating all aspects of lease transactions, including large and small scale leases for office, retail, industrial, laboratory, build-to-suit headquarters locations, medical office, biotech and data center space throughout the United States. Katie was awarded the prestigious Collaborating Professional of the Year Award (2012) by the Commercial Brokers Association of Massachusetts.
Katie represents REITS, investors, developers and other owners of real estate as well as private equity companies and retailers in all varieties of lease transactions, including owners and tenants in buildings in Boston, New York, Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia and California. Katie’s experience includes:
- Representation of Boston Properties in major leases in Kendall Square with The Broad Institute and Biogen
- Representation of Boston Properties in major suburban full building net zero lease with confidential major financial company
- Representation of Boston Properties in a major build to suit lease of 566,238 rsf of laboratory and research & development space at 290 Binney Street in Kendall Square, Cambridge with AstraZeneca
- Representation of the owners of the Hub on Causeway complex in a major lease of 445,000 rentable square feet with Verizon as the anchor tenant of the transformative office tower in that complex, which won the Boston office deal of the year award for 2018
- Representation of MetLife in major full building sublease with Apple in Cary, North Carolina and in leases at One Financial Center in Boston
- Representation of Barings, LLC in a major two-building and an additional build to suit lease with Meta (formerly Facebook) in Burlingame, California
- Representation of New Balance and its affiliates in office and retail leasing transactions at the Brighton Landing and Boston Landing Projects with multiple tenants, including Harvard School of Publishing, The Boston Celtics, The Boston Bruins, The Bose Corporation, Mass Innovation Labs, AEG Presents, Flatbread, Mainely Burgers, Kohi Coffee, Beauport Hospitality, Inc. and several others
- Representation of Clarion Partners in the negotiation of several office and retail leases at One Marina Park Drive in Boston
- Representation of multiple property owners in the full range of solar leases and power purchase agreements
- Representation of IQHQ in multiple life science building leases in the Greater Boston area
- Representation Brookfield Properties in a major sale leaseback with McKesson Corporation of their headquarters building at One Post Street in San Francisco
- Representation of LaSalle Investment Management in a major lease with Medidata at 50 Post Office Square in Boston
- Representation of Bentall Kennedy in a major sale leaseback of multiple properties for hospital and medical office uses
- Representation of Boston Properties in major headquarters leases with Wolverine Worldwide, Clarks Americas, Inc., Mimecast, Zoom Information, Inc. and Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
- Representation of confidential client in industrial leases with Best Buy and others
- Representation of Roche Bros. Supermarkets Co. in several supermarket leases in Waltham, Kendall Square, Arsenal Yards (Watertown) and Duxbury, Massachusetts
- Representation of Goodwin Procter in its Boston headquarters lease at Fan Pier in the Seaport District of Boston, which lease transaction was awarded the Boston Office Deal of the Year for 2013
- Representation of Skanska USA Commercial Development in a build-to-suit lease transaction with PricewaterhouseCoopers for its new Boston headquarters in Seaport Square in Boston and in major leases with Mullen Communications and Shell Oil at 2 Drydock in Boston
- Representation of Boston Properties as Buyer/Landlord in the acquisition and lease back of over 700,000 square feet of office and retail space with a major institutional bank in Boston
- Representation of the landlord in a lease of over 400,000 square feet at 50 Post Office Square in Boston to Brown Brothers Harriman that was awarded the Boston Office Deal of the Year for 2012
- Representation of the developer and landlord in a new build-to-suit lease of over 492,000 square feet with State Street Corporation in the Channel Center project in Boston
- Representation of Brightcove as tenant in its new headquarters lease at Atlantic Wharf in Boston which was awarded the Boston Office Deal of the Year for 2011
- Representation of iRobot in its multi-building headquarters lease and future expansions in Bedford, Massachusetts
- Representation of Goodwin Procter in its two New York headquarters leases at the New York Times Building in New York City with the New York Times Company and Forest City and Goodwin’s new office lease in Silicon Valley
- Representation of Third Rock Ventures and Toast in major leases at Landmark Center in Boston
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in the negotiation of a laboratory and manufacturing facility lease with McMaster University
- Retail leases with Tatte Bakery, Gold’s Gym, Petco, Sprouts, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Oath Pizza, CAVA, CVS,TD Ameritrade, Pret, Hale & Hearty, Vapiano’s, Rebecca’s, Capriotti’s, Walgreens, Au Bon Pain, Cosi, Aeropostale, Baskin Robbins, Cinnabon, Express, Gamestop, FYE, Pro Sports, Pacific Sunware, Lids, The Picture People, The Children’s Place, Metro PCS, Things Remembered, Journeys, ULTA and U.S. Bank, among others
Areas of Practice
Katie is a member of the Boston Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the International Council of Shopping Centers and the Commercial Brokers Association of Massachusetts. She is a certified LEED Green Associate. She also served as co-chair of the Boston Bar Association's Real Estate Section Leasing Committee from 2009-2011 and currently serves on the Board of Directors as well as the Diversity and Education Committees of the Commercial Brokers Association of Massachusetts.
Suffolk University School of Law
(magna cum laude)
(magna cum laude)
Recognition & Awards
During law school, Katie served as a staff member and comment editor of the Suffolk University Law Review. Ms. Murphy was a member of Goodwin’s Leasing Practice Group that was awarded the 2012 Collaborating Professional of the Year from the Commercial Brokers Association of Massachusetts.
She was also recognized by The Boston Business Journal for the historic renovation deal of the year featuring her work as owner’s counsel at Boston’s 50 Post Office Square and the deal of the year awarded to 101 Seaport for the Skanska USA – PricewaterhouseCoopers build-to-suit lease.
Katie has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for her work in Real Estate Law.