Hamel Patel is an associate in the Private Investment Funds practice in Goodwin’s London office.
He advises financial institutions and investment managers on the establishment, structuring and fundraising across a number of asset classes with a particular focus on private equity and hedge funds. He works for a variety of both experienced and first-time fund managers, utilising different partnership and corporate structures in a range of jurisdictions. He also acts on behalf of prominent European investors for their investments into a range of mega-funds.
He trained at Eversheds Sutherland and qualified in March 2018, before joining Goodwin in March 2019.
Mr. Patel’s representative experience includes advising:
- Amadeus Capital Partners on the successful raising of a series of secondary fund programmes, totalling approximately $127 million.
- Bregal Unternehmerkapital on the structuring and fundraising of their latest fund, Bregal Unternehmerkapital III, which closed at its hard cap of €1.875 billion.
- Antin Infrastructure Partners on Project Kapany, which was a GP-led secondar, in which Antin sold a minority strip of four of the assets (three of which comprise fibre networks businesses) from its existing Fund III to Antin Infrastructure Partners III-B SCSp - raising over a billion euros of further commitments from a consortium that includes lead secondary investors Pantheon and Ardian.
- Macquarie Green Investment Group on the structuring and fundraising of its latest fund, Macquarie GIG Renewable Energy Fund 2 (“MGREF2”), which raised €1.635 billion.
- Cubera Private Equity on the structuring and fundraising of Cubera IX, the largest ever Nordic secondaries fund hitting its hard cap of €524 million.
- Cubera Private Equity on the structuring and fundraising of Cubera PE III, a fund of funds.
- Advent International on the fundraising of its $17.5 billion GPE IX Fund.
- a large European asset manager on the launch of its hedge fund of funds.
- wealth management firms in respect of investments in a range of mega-funds including major PE, debt and impact investing platforms.
- Kimura Capital on its launch of: GAM Kimura Commodity Trade Finance Fund, GAM Kimura Structured Trade Finance Fund, Kimura Alternative Lending Income Fund Limited, and Kimura Systematic Consumer Loans Fund.*
- Qbera Capital on its launch of Qbera Capital Trade Finance Fund.*
- large asset managers on launches, changes, and terminations of retail funds, including overseeing the FCA process and relevant notifications under the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD).*
Mr. Patel undertook a 6 month secondment to Lloyds Banking Group conducting the review and negotiation of insurance fund agreements with various asset managers.*
Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
Legal Practice Course2014
University of Law
Graduate Diploma in Law2013
University of Law
BAModern Languages (French and Spanish)2012
University College London
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales