Sabrina Poulos is a partner in Goodwin’s Life Sciences group. She has been a practicing patent attorney for over 15 years. She closely collaborates with executive teams of cutting edge life sciences companies to craft and execute pragmatic, business-focused IP strategies specific to each stage of a company’s life. While primarily focusing on US and ex-US patent strategy and prosecution, Sabrina approaches IP holistically, working with her clients on trade secret protection, licensing, sponsored research agreements, collaboration agreements, Bayh-Dole compliance, optimizing Patent Term Extension, developing company internal IP policies, advising companies on IP issues related to academic founders, and export matters.
Sabrina also represents investors in IP diligence matters and company creation, analyzing IP portfolios and creating pragmatic solutions to optimize the IP portfolio in order to maximize the return on an investment.
Sabrina clients span the breadth of the life sciences, focusing on antibodies, cell-based agriculture, cell-based models, cell therapies, epigenetics, gene therapies, gene editing/engineering, oncolytic viruses, peptide-based therapies, small molecules, and RNA-based therapeutics.
- Advised Abexxa Therapeutics (antibodies) on all IP matters, including the acquisition by Boehringer Ingelheim
- Advise Boehringer Ingelheim on all IP matters relating to the Abexxa portfolio
- Advise Altis Biosystems (GI models for in vitro drug screens) on all IP matters
- Advise BIOMILQ (cellular agriculture/synthetic biology) on all IP matters, including their $21 million Series A Financing
- Advise Exavir Therapeutics (CRISPR) on all IP matters
- Advised Excision Bio (CRISPR) on all IP matters*
- Advise Hemab (antibodies) on all IP matters, including the $135 million Series B
- Advise Metagenomi (gene editing) on IP matters
- Advised Mirna Therapeutics (microRNA) on all IP matters, including the $43.75 million IPO and acquisition by Synlogic*
- Advise Nogra (ASOs) on all ASO IP matters
- Advise Nuvig Therapeutics (Fc therapeutics) on all IP matters, including the $47 million Series A financing
- Advise OncoResponse (antibodies; Phase I clinical trials) on all IP matters related to OR2805, including their $40 million Series B financing and $40 million Series C financing
- Advised PDI Therapeutics (antibodies) on all IP matters, including $26 million Series A*
- Advise Treos Bio (peptide-based immunotherapies; Phase II clinical trials) on all US IP matters
- Advise Triumvira (T cell therapies; Phase I clinical trials) on all IP matters, including the $100 million Series A financing
- Advise Ultragenyx (gene therapy, ASO) on IP matters
- Advise Avelas Biosciences (targeted imaging agents; Phase II clinical trials) on all IP matters
- Advise ENB Therapeutics (small molecules; Phase I clinical trials) on all IP matters
- Advise Exavir (small molecules) on all IP matters
- Advise Morphimmune (targeted effector molecules) on all IP matters, including licensing transactions and the $12 million Series A financing
- Advised OncoNano Therapeutics (targeted effector molecules and imaging agents) on all IP matters*
- Advised Pharmacyclics (small molecules) on all IP matters related to HDAC portfolio and its $21 billion acquisition by AbbVie*
- Advise Savara Pharmaceuticals (small molecules; Phase III clinical trials) on all IP matters
- Advise Sporos Bioventures (small molecules) on all IP matters
- Advise Tvardi Therapeutics (small molecules; Phase II clinical trials) on all IP matters including the $74 million Series A financing
- Advise Artis Venture Partners on select IP matters, including the $70 million Series A financing of Delix Therapeutics
- Advise Avalon Bioventures on select IP matters, including formation of Avelas Biosciences and PDI Therapeutics
- Advise DCVC on select IP matters, including the $135 million series A financing of Chroma Medicine
- Advise Illumina Ventures on select IP matters
- Advise Redmile on select IP matters, including the $70 million Series B financing of Lycia Therapeutics
- Advise Research Bridge Partners on all IP matters, including formation of MorphImmune, Novosteo, and Tuebor Energy
- Advise Sporos Bioventures on select IP matters, including the $14.5 million Series A financing of Asylia Therapeutics and the $15.5 million Series A financing of Stellanova Therapeutics
IPOs, M&As, and Licensing Transactions
- Amylyx Pharmaceuticals in its $190 million IPO
- Atsena Therapeutics in its license negotiations with the University of Florida*
- Lumena Pharmaceuticals in its $260 million acquisition by Shire*
- Seragon Therapeutics in its $1.7 billion acquisition by Roche/Genentech*
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of NantKwest in the merger of NantKwest and ImmunityBio
- Advised Alleviant Medical (interatrial shunt) on all IP matters*
- Advised Genetesis (software/imaging device) on all IP matters, including $4.5 million Series A financing and $9.2 million Series B financing*
- Advised IntuiTap Medical (image guided spinal tap device) on all IP matters*
- Advised Tearlab (diagnostic device) on all IP matters*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Sabrina began practicing in 2007 and was a partner at Wilson Sonsini in San Francisco prior to moving to Goodwin Procter.
Prior to law school, she spent three years engineering knock-out mice as a research associate at Lexicon Genetics, now Lexicon Pharmaceuticals.
University of San Diego School of Law
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Recognition & Awards
Sabrina was a 2021 recommended lawyer for Patents and Healthcare by The Legal 500.