Dr. Oded Schein is a partner in the firm’s Tax practice, resident in Munich. Dr. Schein has experience in German and international tax planning and provides tax-related advice in the context of cross-border private equity transactions. He focuses on the structuring of investment vehicles for commercial and private investors and advises on restructurings.
Dr. Schein’s representative experience includes advising:
- Saale-Krankenhaus Calbe GmbH, the German subsidiary of the Medicover Group (LSE: 0RPS, Stockholm Stock Exchange: MCOVBS)(“Medicover”), in its acquisition of 80 percent shares in DDent MVZ GmbH (“DDent”) from the sole shareholder and CEO Dr. Nicol Dudek based on an enterprise evaluation of approximately EUR 20,000,000
- Imprivata Inc. on the acquisition of OGiTiX Software AG
- Beyond Capital on the acquisition of Soft & Cloud AG
- Triton on the sale of dogado to Cinven and OTPP
- L Catterton on the acquisition of a majority stake in BIRKENSTOCK Group*
- Paragon Partners on the acquisition of 7days group, a multichannel mail order company for modern workwear*
- Oakley Capital on the acquisition of WindStar Medical from NuCom Group*
- Galapagos, a European provider of heat exchange and machine cooling systems, in relation to its financial restructuring*
- Perceptive Advisors on the business combination of Arya Sciences Acquisition Corp., a US listed special purpose acquisition company, with Immatics Biotechnologies GmbH*
- Bidding consortium led by Advent, Cinven and RAG-Stiftung on the acquisition of the elevator division of thyssenkrupp AG*
- Bain Capital and Carlyle on the public takeover offer for OSRAM Licht AG*
- EP Global Commerce on the public takeover of METRO AG*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
Prior to joining Goodwin, Dr. Schein led the German tax practice at Kirkland & Ellis International LLP in Munich.
Tax Advisor Exam
Second State Exam1999
Regional Court of Darmstadt and Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt
First State ExamLaw Studies1997
Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg
Recognition & Awards
Dr. Schein has been recognized as one of Europe’s leading lawyers for tax in Germany every year since 2012 by Chambers Europe, is ranked amongst the "Best Lawyers" for tax by Handelsblatt Best Lawyers 2021 and is frequently recommended for transactional tax by JUVE.
Dr. Schein's publications include:
- Author, “Außensteuergesetzliche Hinzurechnung in Sanierungsfällen (Application of German CFC Rules on restructuring cases),” Internationales Steuerrecht (iStR), 2017, p. 109–113
- Co-Author, Chapter on overview of distressed trading and legal structuring of direct lending deals in Germany, Investing in Distressed Debt in Europe (TMA Handbook for Practitioners), 2016