Among his significant matters, Mr. Cook has in recent years:
- Defended a hotel management company in a decades-long dispute with a hotel owner, including multiple rounds of arbitration and a multi-million dollar prevailing party fee award.
- Advised multiple hospitality clients on the drafting and negotiation of hotel management and hotel development agreements, including dispute resolution clauses.
- Advised multiple hospitality clients on a variety of disputes arising out of hotel management and hotel development agreements.
- Represented a hospitality client in the resolution of a trademark dispute.
- Represented a hotel management company in securing damages after the premature termination of its hotel management agreement.
Real Estate Matters
- Defended a real estate investment company against claims seeking to invalidate an appraisal in connection with the purchase of a property, securing dismissal and affirmation by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
- Represented multiple owners and developers of commercial property in connection with actual and potential disputes related to permitting, zoning, boundary, encumbrance, and other real estate issues.
- Represented multiple owners, investors, and developers of commercial property in disputes with their partners and joint venturers.
Complex Commercial Matters
- Represented a private equity firm and its portfolio company in securing a finding by the Delaware Chancery Court that the portfolio company’s former CEO perpetrated a fraud in order to sell the company.
- Defended a food container manufacturer in a dispute arising under a decades-long supply agreement.
- Representing a lighting manufacturer in a cross-border dispute arising upon termination of its sales representative.
- Representing a private equity client in several disputes related to an investment property and advising on the marketing and sale of the same property.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company from breach of contract claims arising from the sale of its animal health subsidiary.
Pro Bono Matters
- Advised a variety of small business owners (including early childhood education providers) on their contractual rights and obligations in light of the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting shutdown orders.
- Represented a land conservation group in multiple disputes over the issuance of zoning permits for improvements to conservation properties in Massachusetts, including to trial in the Land Court.
- Represented a land conservation group in enforcing its rights in connection with the development of a neighboring property.
- Represented an undocumented minor in obtaining Special Immigrant Juvenile status and a work permit, and establishing permanent residency, including in proceedings before the Probate and Family Court, the Court of Appeals, the Immigration Court, and the United States Customs and Immigration Service.
- Served on the leadership team for Goodwin’s participation in GLAD’s Pop-Up Transgender ID Project.