Mr. Cottler advises clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other industries on a number of intellectual property matters. His experience includes patent litigation, client counseling (including invalidity and clearance opinions), due diligence, patent prosecution strategy, and IP licensing disputes. Mr. Cottler has extensive experience handling all aspects of patent litigation, including overseeing fact and expert discovery, examining trial witnesses, preparing pretrial motions and briefs, and arguing in Court relating to discovery disputes, claim construction, Daubert motions, and motions in limine. The following are a representation of Mr. Cottler’s matters:
- Tris Pharma, Inc. v. Actavis Laboratories FL, Inc., No. 1:14-cv-01309 (D. Del.) (Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding Actavis’ generic Quillivant® (liquid, extended-release methylphenidate), case now on remand after appeal).
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., et al., v. West-Ward Pharmaceuticals International Ltd., No. 15-cv-00474 (D. Del.) (Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding West-Ward’s generic Afinitor® (everolimus 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 7.5 mg, and 10 mg tablets)).
- The Gillette Company v. Dollar Shave Club, Inc., et al., No. 15-1158 (D. Del.) (litigation filed against defendants for infringement of Gillette’s blade coating technology patent, case settled favorably before trial).
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., No. 1:14-cv-00874 (D. Del.) (Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding Teva’s generic Nasonex® (mometasone inhalation product), case settled favorably after district court decision of non-infringement).
- Prometheus Laboratories Inc. v. Roxane Laboratories, Inc., et al., No. 2:11-cv-01241 (D.N.J.) (Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding Roxane’s generic Lotronex® (alosetron tablets); district court decision invalidating patent-in-suit affirmed on appeal).
- Eli Lilly & Co. v. Teva Parenteral Medicines, Inc., et al., No. 10-cv-01376 (S.D. Ind.) (Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding Defendants’ pemetrexed (generic Alimta®) products).
- Cadence Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al. v. Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC, No. 13-cv-00139 (S.D. Cal.) (Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding Fresenius’s intravenous acetaminophen (generic Ofirmev®) product; settled favorably before trial).
- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. v. Amgen, Inc., No. 09-cv-5675 (E.D. Pa.) (pre-BPCIA litigation regarding Teva’s recombinant granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (rG-CSF) product; settled favorably before trial).
Mr. Cottler is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York Bar Association and the New York City Bar Association (Patents Committee, 2009-2012 (Secretary); 2014-present).