- Represented drone manufacturer in potential intellectual property acquisition deal, including performing valuation of competitor’s patents and drafting opinion letters regarding validity. Technology at-issue included control surfaces, avionics, signal manipulation, navigation/guidance systems, and more.*
- Represented major technology company in patent infringement action relating to computer networking. Secured a multi-million dollar jury verdict and a finding of willful infringement for client.*
- Represented software-as-a-service company in a “bet-the-company” trade-secret misappropriation dispute. The case resulted in a very favorable seven-figure settlement for client.*
- Represented major technology company before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board in an inter partes review, related to computer networking devices and software patents. Successfully defended validity of client’s patents as well as successfully entered new claims.*
- Represented flash-memory patent holder during reexamination proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Successfully defended client’s patent’s validity and overcame preliminary rejection by examiner.*
- Represented member-based organization whose mission is to challenge patents asserted by non-practicing entities. Successfully invalidated every asserted claim of multiple patents and/or secured favorable settlements for client.*
- Represented major technology company in patent and trade-secret litigation in state and federal court relating to real-time location services software and hardware. Secured very favorable settlement for client, including a license to all of competitor’s related patents.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin
Mr. Dahlin is an active member of the ABA, SFIPLA, Bay Area IP Inn of Court, and Bar Association of San Francisco. Mr. Dahlin also routinely works with local legal aid clinics to provide pro bono services.
Mr. Dahlin has worked on nearly every facet of intellectual property matters, from pre-suit investigations and IP advising, to full jury trials and appeals before the Federal Circuit. He has also worked on a wide variety of cases related to different complex technologies, including those related to: network devices, design software, semiconductors, broadcasting and signal manipulation, encryption, aerospace, SaS, complex mechanical designs, bio-technology, and more. In 2013, Mr. Dahlin was a judicial extern for Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton of the District Court for the Northern District of California.