- Representing leading semiconductor company in complex patent infringement action.
- Representing mobile application developer in international trade secret and copyright misappropriation action.
- Representing under-served children in class action pro bono litigation against large governmental entity.
- Representing industry leader in LED technology in multiple patent litigations.
- Representing app-based healthcare company in trademark infringement action.
- Successfully defended inter partes review petition filed against industry leader in entertainment data aggregation market.
- Defended point-of-sales device maker against patent infringement claims. Secured very favorable, low five-figure settlement after successful motion practice.
- Defended innovative company in mobile device and point-of-sales technologies in patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation action. The case resulted in a cross-license of patents and dismissal of the trade secret claims.
- Defended biotech company in patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation action. Aggressively pushed for early mediation, which led to very favorable settlement for client.
- Represented drone manufacturer in potential intellectual property acquisition deal, including performing valuation of competitor’s patents and drafting opinion letters regarding validity. Technology at-issue included control surfaces, avionics, signal manipulation, navigation/guidance systems, and more.*
- Represented major technology company in patent infringement action relating to computer networking. Secured a multi-million dollar jury verdict and a finding of willful infringement for client.*
- Represented software-as-a-service company in a “bet-the-company” trade-secret misappropriation dispute. The case resulted in a very favorable seven-figure settlement for client.*
- Represented major technology company before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board in an inter partes review, related to computer networking devices and software patents. Successfully defended validity of client’s patents as well as successfully entered new claims.*
- Represented flash-memory patent holder during reexamination proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Successfully defended client’s patent’s validity and overcame preliminary rejection by examiner.*
- Represented member-based organization whose mission is to challenge patents asserted by non-practicing entities. Successfully invalidated every asserted claim of multiple patents and/or secured favorable settlements for client.*
- Represented major technology company in patent and trade-secret litigation in state and federal court relating to real-time location services software and hardware. Secured very favorable settlement for client, including a license to all of competitor’s related patents.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin
Mr. Dahlin is an active member of the ABA, SFIPLA, Bay Area IP Inn of Court, and Bar Association of San Francisco. Mr. Dahlin also routinely works with local legal aid clinics to provide pro bono services.
Mr. Dahlin has worked on nearly every facet of intellectual property matters, from pre-suit investigations and IP advising, to full jury trials and appeals before the Federal Circuit, to administrative proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent Office. He has also worked on a wide variety of cases related to different complex technologies, including those related to: network devices, design software, semiconductors, broadcasting and signal manipulation, encryption, aerospace, SaS, complex mechanical designs, bio-technology, and more. In 2013, Mr. Dahlin was a judicial extern for Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton of the District Court for the Northern District of California.