Maria Mercedes Gaitan is a senior associate in the firm’s Business Law Department and a member of its Private Equity group. She joined Goodwin in 2018 and is a member of the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Ms. Gaitan’s practice focuses primarily on mergers, acquisitions, private equity investments, leveraged buyouts, carve-outs, reorganizations, recapitalizations, co-investments and other general corporate matters. Specifically, she has experience representing corporate strategic and private equity clients in structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing private mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, financings and other investments. She represents clients in a wide range of industries, including technology, software, retail, security, healthcare, consumer products and financial services, both in the U.S. and internationally. In addition, Ms. Gaitan works with clients on a variety of executive employment, corporate and governance issues.
Ms. Gaitan has advised clients on domestic and cross-border transactions across a range of industries. Her recent experience includes advising:
- Charlesbank Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in multiple transactions, including:
- Charlesbank Capital Partners in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of The Rockport Group via a Section 363 asset purchase as part of The Rockport Group’s Chapter 11 proceedings
- The Rockport Group in its acquisition of the Reef brand from VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC)
- Nonantum Capital Partners in its acquisition of ProVest LLC
- Arlington Capital Partners in its acquisition of Intellectual Technology, Inc.
- Sale of fiber-optic transport and connection services company to private equity buyer.
- Sale of Strata Fund Solutions to FTV Capital
- Several search funds in connection with fundraising, pre-acquisition advisory matters, acquisitions and sale transactions.
- Carve-out sale by mediation monitoring services company to strategic buyer.*
- Private equity buyer in its acquisition of network affiliate television stations.*
- Private equity fund and portfolio company in connection with restructuring and recapitalization of more than $120 million in indebtedness into controlling equity position.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.