- Advises banks, Fintechs, and servicers on consumer financial services requirements applicable to deposit and credit products, including TILA/Regulation Z, ECOA/Regulation B, FCRA/Regulation V, SCRA, MLA, CFPB Payday Lending Rule, EFTA/Regulation E, and TISA/Regulation DD.
- Counsels banks and Fintechs on state licensing and registration requirements related to lending, loan brokering, servicing, and collections, including questions arising from Fintech-bank partnership arrangements.
- Counsels credit card issuers on CARD Act compliance and account servicing issues, including billing error rights and matters unique to charge cards and secured cards.
- Counsels Fintechs and other point-of-sale lenders on the application of federal and state credit laws to buy-now-pay-later (BNPL) products and other 0% APR offerings.
- Assists financial services providers in drafting consumer-facing marketing and account-opening disclosures, online and in-app user experience flows, card agreements and loan agreements, and periodic statements and other account servicing communications.
- Assists Fintechs and other providers on designing and disclosing alternative financing products, such as factoring, merchant cash advance, and earned wage access, including under state commercial financing disclosure laws in California and New York.
- Drafts payment authorizations for compliance with the EFTA/Regulation E, NACHA rules, and card network rules.
Following law school, Ms. Gerrick worked in the Compliance function of a leading financial institution covering retail bank and credit card products. Prior to joining Goodwin, Ms. Gerrick was Counsel in the Banking and Financial Services group at Davis Wright Tremaine LLP and an Associate in the Consumer Financial Services group at Ballard Spahr LLP, where she advised financial services providers on consumer financial law and regulatory compliance.
During law school, Ms. Gerrick worked in the Securities Division of the Office of the California Attorney General.
Ms. Gerrick is a member of the American Bar Association, Consumer Financial Services Committee.