Kara’s representative matters include:
- Certain Integrated Circuit Products and Devices Containing the Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-1295) — Representing Respondents Amlogic Holdings LTD. and Amlogic (CA) Co., Inc. in a section 337 investigation at the ITC involving the alleged infringement of patents generally related to integrated circuits and power-saving features thereof.
- Venn Therapeutics v. Corbus Pharmaceuticals Holdings, Inc. et al., Case No. 8:21-cv-02716-JLB-TGW (M.D. Fla) — Representing Defendants in trade secret misappropriation case involving certain anti-cancer drug development programs based on specific monoclonal antibodies targeting TGF-β by blocking interactions with αvβ8 integrins.
- Certain Flocked Swabs, Products Containing Flocked Swabs, And Methods of Using Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-1279) - Represented Copan Italia and Copan Industries as Complainants at the ITC, asserting patent infringement claims against global competitors in a case involving the use of flocking technology (common in the textile industry) in the production of biological specimen collection swabs.*
- Certain Human Milk Oligosaccharides and Methods of Producing the Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-1120) – Represented Glycosyn LLC as Complainant before the ITC against Respondent Jennewein Biotechnologies GmbH, a large global competitor. The complaint alleged unlawful and unauthorized importation and production and/or manufacture of 2'-fucosyllactose oligosaccharides that directly infringe one or more claims of Glycosyn's U.S. Patent No. 9,453,230. Following an oral hearing in May 2019, the Administrative Law Judge issued an Initial Determination finding that Jennewein had infringed claims of Glycosyn’s patent and recommended that a limited exclusion order issue, including a certification provision with heightened requirement.*
- Certain Semiconductor Devices, Integrated Circuits, and Consumer Products Containing the Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-1149) – Represented Complainant Innovative Foundry Technologies in a section 337 investigation at the ITC involving the infringement of five patents related to semiconductor fabrication and packaging. Respondents included Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Qualcomm, MediaTek, and Vizio.*
- Innovative Foundry Tech. LLC v. Semiconductor Mfg, Int’l Corp. (19-cv-00719 (W.D. Tex)) - Represented Plaintiff IFT in enforcing four patents related to semiconductor manufacturing technology. The case resolved favorably in a confidential settlement.*
- ParkerVision, Inc. v. Apple Inc. (15-cv-1477 (M.D. Fla.)) – Represented Plaintiff ParkerVision in a patent infringement action involving radio frequency capable integrated circuits in the Middle District of Florida against Defendants Apple and Qualcomm. Mintz’s representation of ParkerVision ended in the Spring of 2020 before the case concluded.*
- Sellas Life Sciences Group, Inc. v. John Doe (21-cv-6014 (S.D.N.Y.)) – Represented Plaintiffs Sellas Life Sciences Group Inc. and Chief Executive Officer Dr. Angelos Stergiou in a copyright infringement and defamation action in the Southern District of New York.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Kara was an Intellectual Property Litigation Associate at Mintz Levin. While at Mintz, Kara was a key case team member for several ITC and federal district court actions. Kara has experience representing companies in all stages of litigation, from pre-suit diligence through trial.
During law school, Kara served as a judicial intern for the Honorable George A. O’Toole of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Kara is a member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association, Boston Patent Law Association, and Women’s Bar Association.