Mr. Hamilton handles a wide array of labor and employment matters, with particular expertise in restrictive covenant enforcement, agreement drafting and negotiation, proprietary information and trade secret protection, executive employment agreements, executive transitions, employee separations, worker classification, workplace investigations, personnel policies and practices, and strategic litigation avoidance.
Mr. Hamilton regularly represents businesses in employment-related litigation before federal and state court courts, human rights commissions, administrative agencies, arbitration panels, and other alternative dispute resolution bodies. His litigation expertise includes enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation, and other restrictive covenants, defense of claims alleging discrimination, retaliation, and hostile work environment, and both prosecution and defense of claims arising from complex transactions and other contractual relationships. Mr. Hamilton also regularly advises companies on labor and employment issues arising in connection with complex transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, financing events, asset deals, and corporate restructurings.
Mr. Hamilton’s work on behalf of clients includes:
- Representation of an alternative investment firm in various employment-related matters, including successfully obtaining complete dismissal of a lawsuit by a former executive alleging breach of contract and related claims arising from an M&A transaction*
- Representation of a leading conglomerate of warranty, managing general agent, and special risk companies in its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a specialized managing general agent*
- Representation of a major U.S. university in connection with a series of lawsuits by a former adjunct professor, including successfully obtaining affirmance on appeal of a jury verdict dismissing her retaliation claims*
- Representation of a leading enterprise resource planning software company in its multi-million-dollar acquisition by a global provider of enterprise software solutions*
- Representation of a major fashion modeling agency in securing complete dismissal of claims by a former model alleging breach of contract and related tort claims*
- Representation of a global insurance brokerage and consultancy in its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a major regional insurance brokerage*
Mr. Hamilton’s practice also includes providing strategic advice and counseling to employers on a host of sensitive employment-related issues, including hiring, discipline, terminations, offer letters, employment agreements, separation and severance agreements, restrictive covenant agreements, reductions in force, worker classification, and internal investigations.
In addition to his other client work, Mr. Hamilton has represented a criminal defendant in connection with the appeal of his conviction in the Maryland Court of Special Appeals.
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Mr. Hamilton has been advising clients on labor and employment-related matters since 2011. Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Hamilton was an associate in the Labor & Employment practice of DLA Piper LLP (US) in New York, New York.
Mr. Hamilton also previously served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Terry L. Wooten, Senior U.S. District Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, and as a judicial extern in the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York.