In addition to representing large corporations in a full range of business law matters and transactions, John Horton has worked with investors and entrepreneurs throughout the life cycle of portfolio investments and business ventures. Based out of Redwood City, California, Mr. Horton understands the legal needs of Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and the start-up company growth progression. Because many emerging companies have limited in-house legal capacity, he has embraced the role of outside counsel by working alongside executive teams to manage risk, oversee corporate governance and help identify and capitalize on commercial opportunities. Mr. Horton’s venture capital legal representation has included fund-based investors and strategic investors, as well as corporations seeking funding. Additionally, Mr. Horton handles buy-side and sell-side mergers and acquisitions transactions of all sizes.
Mr. Horton began his legal career prior to law school, as a corporate paralegal for the Mergers and Acquisitions practice group at a leading Silicon Valley law firm, handling high profile technology acquisition transactions. Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Horton was a senior associate in the Silicon Valley office of Hogan Lovells US LLP.
Mr. Horton’s representative clients include:
- Accel Partners
- Cervin Ventures
- Forge (formerly Equidate)
- JouleSmart Solutions
- Light Field Lab
- Uncork Capital
- Upside Services
- Wing VC
- Represents numerous emerging companies in corporate and securities matters, including the regular representation of start-ups from inception.
- Represents corporate clients through complex restructuring and venture capital transactions.
- Represents Accel Partners in venture capital transactions.
- Represents Cervin Ventures in venture capital transactions.
- Represented Founders Fund in 24 venture capital equity and debt strategic investments, in addition to numerous follow-on investment transactions.*
- Represented Sky plc in 23 venture capital equity and debt strategic investments, in addition to numerous follow-on investment transactions.*
- Represented 3M Company in 18 venture capital equity and debt strategic investments, in addition to numerous follow-on investment transactions.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin
- Represented an Oregon-based client in a complex transaction involving the sale of an investment advisor education business to a California-based private equity firm.
- Represented a New York-based search fund in the acquisition of a New Jersey-based business in the automotive marketing industry.
- Represented a search fund in the sale of a SaaS business to a New York-based private equity firm.
- Represented Synopsys, Inc., in its acquisition of cybersecurity company, Black Duck Software, Inc. for more than US $550 million.*
- Represented Cisco Systems, Inc., in its acquisition of the data analytics product platform of Saggezza Inc.*
- Represented international-based public company, Foxconn., in its multi-jurisdictional, cross-border, acquisition of Microsoft’s feature phone business for US$350 million.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
During law school, Mr. Horton served as the Business Editor of the Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, and as President of the Santa Clara University Law & Business Club.