Mr. Hutchinson’s practice involves a broad range of corporate and commercial transactions, including representation of private equity and growth equity funds and their portfolio companies and other institutional investors in leveraged buyouts, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, growth equity investments, direct secondaries, private company tender offers, recapitalizations, joint ventures and other general corporate matters. In addition to his extensive representation of private equity sponsors and growth equity investors in their primary investments into private companies, Mr. Hutchinson has considerable expertise in structuring and executing secondary transactions and private tender offers for late-stage private companies and institutional investors. He represents clients in a variety of industries, including technology, software, financial services, media, business services, healthcare, education, consumer products, and energy.
Mr. Hutchinson’s work for private equity and growth equity funds and their portfolio companies includes representing:
- DST Global in its worldwide investments in Facebook, Zynga, Groupon, Twitter, Alibaba, Box, Arista, Spotify, Funding Circle, Houzz, WISH, Zalando, Farfetch, Klarna, ZocDoc, Airbnb, Otoy, WhatsApp, Auto1, Greensky, Deliveroo, Nubank, Go-Jek, Snapchat, Chime, Earnin, DoorDash, Revolut, Bulb, Stripe, Brex, Robinhood, LendingClub, DraftKings, and Checkout.
- Various Mutual Fund complexes with primary and secondary investments in large private companies including Facebook, Twitter, Coupang, Dropbox, Airbnb, Redfin, Alibaba, Allbirds, Gitlab, Byju, Canva, Stripe, Gusto, SoFi, Trumid, Rappi, Uber and Ant Financial.
- The Halifax Group in its leveraged buyouts of BCI Burke, Promptcare, StrataTech, and XLA.
- Ridge Capital in its leveraged buyouts of L.A.T. Sportswear, Rock River Environmental and Zamma Corp.
- GEF Capital Partners in its leveraged buyouts of Bluesource, EnviroMix and GroWell.
- Durable Capital in various growth equity investments.
- Benchmark in a third-party private tender offer for shares of Uber.
- Accel Partners in growth equity transactions in Arista, CartoDB, PagerDuty and Lower.
- WisdomTree Investments Inc. with a variety exchange traded fund product development joint ventures and the acquisition of Boost ETP and ETF Securities.
- Various sell-side representations including the sale of Crucial Security, Inc. to Harris Corporation; Watkins & Shepard Trucking, Inc. to Schneider National Carriers, Inc.; Rock River Environmental Services, Inc. to Waste Connections, Inc.; and Human Arc Corporation to Centauri Health Solutions LLC, and Greenleaf Health to Validant.
Mr. Hutchinson currently serves as an officer of The Breakthrough Prize Foundation. The Breakthrough Prizes honor important achievements in the categories of Fundamental Physics, Life Sciences and Mathematics. The prizes were founded by Yuri and Julia Milner, Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, and the Brin/Wojcicki Foundation.
Mr. Hutchinson’s pro bono/charitable organization work includes involvement with the SEEP Network, a global network of international micro finance practitioner organizations dedicated to combating poverty through promoting inclusive markets and financial systems.
Mr. Hutchinson has authored articles for Bloomberg BNA, Venture Beat, the PE Hub and the Venture Capital Journal on issues surrounding private liquidity programs and secondary transfers in private company stock. Mr. Hutchinson speaks regularly on finance and mergers and acquisitions for various events and organizations, including the American Management Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Hutchinson was a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Hogan & Hartson.