Mr. Lazar previously represented clients in the San Francisco market’s largest-ever multifamily portfolio financing, and in joint ventures for a $1.5 billion mixed use project in Atlanta, an 820 lot residential subdivision in Tennessee, a high rise condominium in Honolulu and several hotels, office buildings, stalled condominium projects and other properties.* Many of these transactions involved investments in LLC membership interests, distressed loans and other distressed assets, workouts and loan restructurings.
Representative matters include:
- Represented an institutional investor in connection with a joint venture to acquire Marathon Oil Tower, a 1.9 million square foot class A office tower in Houston, Texas, including the negotiation of senior secured and mezzanine financings for the acquisition.
- Represented a preeminent global hedge fund in the San Francisco market’s largest-ever multifamily portfolio financing. The portfolio is owned by a joint venture between the preeminent global hedge fund and its operating partner, Veritas Investments Inc. The $685 million recapitalization involved CMBS financing, 32 traditional mortgage term loans and two tiers of preferred equity investments.*
- Advised a private real-estate investment company and its capital partner, a large investment fund in the purchase of the New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott hotel from Capmark Financial Group Inc. The purchase of the 438-room hotel in Queens was one of the first large acquisitions for the Connecticut-based investment company and was cited as a Wall Street Journal Deal of the Week.*
- Provided strategic start-up advice and represented a real estate investment and development firm in a joint venture with Walton Street Capital and with respect to several acquisitions of land parcels throughout the United States.*
- Representation of a real estate investment firm for the acquisition, development and financing of a hotel in Boston’s Seaport District.*
- Counseled a hedge fund in the purchase of distressed commercial and residential loans from various banks and other institutions, having an aggregate unpaid principal balance in excess of $3 billion.*
- Represented one of the country’s largest private camping clubs in connection with the sale/leaseback of approximately 50 membership-based campgrounds in 16 states.*
- Negotiated the sale/leaseback and expansion of a furniture retailer’s approximately 630,000 square foot warehouse and distribution center.*
- Represented a petroleum distribution company in connection with the sale of a petroleum terminal.*
- Represented private equity funds in connection with the acquisition and financing of companies that have significant real estate interests throughout the United States.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Mr. Lazar is a member of the Cornell Real Estate Council, the International Conference of Shopping Centers, the New York State Bar Association Commercial Leasing Subcommittee and the Real Estate Finance Association. He also serves as counsel to Schodack Campership Initiative, a not-for-profit corporation that provides summer camp scholarships to disadvantaged children.